Insulation for the bottom of the kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad coffee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all my search-fu isn't working so well tonight, so I'm starting a new thread.

What/how are you guys and gals insulating the bottom of your E-kettles? I'm going to put mine on a cheap-o Ikea counter top, and don't want to burn it.

I'm thinking either a wood disc (not so sexy) under the brew kettle, or maybe a piece of 1/4" neoprene -- sexy, but quite possibly a problem when cleanup comes around. Also, finding a piece big enough for my kettle might $$.

So what are you guys using?

Cheers,
B

My e-kettle won't be done for another couple of weeks. But I'm not planning on anything fancy like a wood disk. In fact I wasn't planning on anything at all, just set it on the bench and brew away!

I have a 16x16 ceramic tile under mine. It was left over from when my kitchen floor was re-done. Although, I built my own brewstand from 2x4s and 1x6s and I think it wouldn't really matter if I had nothing under there...

I would think a piece of hardwood plywood with routered edges, stained and sealed would work just fine.

I use plywood with a ceramic tile, although it doesn't seem to get very hot - still a good idea to protect your counter-top.

I'm using round corkboard that has plastic on one side. Plastic side sits on brewstand, cork touches bottom of kettle.

Back