Deschutes Jubelale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real issue with this particular recipe is the marrying of all of the hops - there are six different hop varieties in this beer, all competing for attention. You won't get the smoothness of the actual Jubelale until they've had time to sit down and get to know one another in the bottle/keg for a few weeks.

I know that when I had this year's Jubelale at the end of October at the Deschutes brewery, my thought at the time was, "Wow, this is going to be really good in December!" - Which, frankly, is when a Winter Warmer should be consumed!

That is what I was thinking. I think I will be schedule to brew this in August/September next year.

As for your aging question for Pales, most beers are different and require different schedules after fermentation. A typical pale ale should be consumed fairly young, say 6 weeks from brewday because you want those hops fresh but something like this is a lot more complex and as khiddy says, they need to have a meeting of the minds ;)

You also want more time to condition the higher your OG is. While this isn't a huge beer, it's one the bigger side and could use some extra time. My first sixer of the real thing this year had some hotness to it that wasn't entirely pleasant. The second one I got a couple weeks later was much better.

Well thanks for the advice guys.. I was planning on brewing it up this weekend even if I dont get it to drink it till 2010, but when the hop bill alone came to over $30, I decided to stick with the Sierra Nevada clone (much cheaper to make) that I was gonna brew this weekend... I hadn't bought hops in several months and was surprised to see that prices have not come down at all.. I really thought after the 2009 harvest that prices would go back to normal, but I guess not... I remember when the malt was more expensive than the hops.... Those were to good old days.... Wish I still had my job as a Hop Inspection Supervisor in Yakima... Had more free hops than I knew what to do with... :::::::sigh::::::::

So who has tried the recipe on the 1st page of this thread?

Brewed it on 10/19. Used Wyeast 1332, created water profile to match style. It is drinking really well, and turned out pretty similar. 1028 might work better though. My version has a close flavor profile/aroma to the real thing, but lacks that bit of acidity that makes Jubelale distinctive, IMO.

Bump for this thread. I just bought a sixer of this stuff on a whim after work today and I must say it is freakin' amazing. Everyone should give this a try.

I have a 22 of it hiding somewhere at home that a friend brought back from the brewery. I think it's time the gf and I crack it open.

jubelale2010.jpg

I LOVE this time of year!!!!!

2009:
jubelale2009.jpg

2008:
jubelale.jpg

I plan on having some at the Fremont Oktoberfest tomorrow. They're going to have it and their new Oktoberfest brew, in addition to some old standbys. I've also got 5 gallons of a clone waiting to be ready for Thanksgiving. Love this stuff.

Is it time for Jubelale again?

YES!!!

Jubelale and Widmer Brr are two of my fall/winter favorites.

Anyone else get some bottles of the "Once a Decade". Damn good stuff. We don't get deschutes here so I sadly won't be trying the regualr Jubelale anytime soon. :(

Anyone else get some bottles of the "Once a Decade". Damn good stuff. We don't get deschutes here so I sadly won't be trying the regualr Jubelale anytime soon. :(

I got a bottle of the 2010, but it's sitting in my beer fridge cellaring for a while. Prolly drink it next year or so.

I got a bottle of the 2010, but it's sitting in my beer fridge cellaring for a while. Prolly drink it next year or so.

I got 2 in a trade. One to drink now and one to drink later. I do that with alot of trades I get. Its hard looking at those awesome beers and not drinking them.:drunk:

I am in the Northwest up here as well (Seattle) and have been drinking the Jubel Ale for awhile this year - 24 beers so far! Where can I find the decade anniverssary Jubel Ale that they make once a decade?

Also, I can't seem to find the clone recipe for this beer. I brew extract/specialty grains and don't have software to convert. Can someone post a link or convert the recipe for extract. I wanna get this thing brewed tomorrow in hopes of late December drinking!

I got back from deployment and picked up my first 6 pack of the 2010 Jubelale. This beer is consistently good every year.

Back