Cream of Three Crops - Mini Mash style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Well - I had to try it. I told my wife it would be something like a Spotted Cow (explaining what a Cream Ale was).

I think I will call it "Dirty Cow"

5g batch
OG 1.040

2.1lb DME
2lb 2-row
2.5lb flaked corn
1lb Minute Rice

1oz Williamette 60min
1oz Crystal 60min

US-05 dry yeast

I put 1 cup of DME into the mash to lower PH
1lb at start of boil and the rest at 10 minutes

NOT a clue what will happen - all I know is that I felt it would not be beautiful yellow like AG and I was correct.

I'll keep you updated on progress.

Wow. Minute rice. Now there's something I've not heard of before...

Well, I'm a fan of fermenting absolutely everything, so I'll keep my fingers crossed! Let us know how it turns out.

Yea - I read the entire Cream of Three Crops thread and saw a lot of people looking for a Mini Mash and I can understand why no one has attempted it. It will not be the same crystal clear Cream Ale brew as an AG recipe.

Minute rice was mentioned as a "why not".

SO - I've never used Flaked Corn, never used rice, never used dry yeast and never converted an AG to a Mini mash. . . . . .what could possibly go wrong!!

BTW - I considered using 6-row for it's better enzyme conversion but felt it would add an heaviness to the ale so I chanced it.

So far so good - fermentation is running strong at 66 degrees and the brew is looking pretty nice. very light colored. it seems to be losing color actually!

OH - blow off tube was needed.

grainy, yes...umm, how do i describe it...it feels like little particles, i guess..."grainy", not so much "malty"

english malts are often grainier than their american equivalents. i prefer it in a lot of styles, that's why i often use the english MO, crystals and chocolate malt.

Awesome! I haven't done mine yet. I keep getting sidetracked on the weekends.

Let us know how it turns out.

I thought I'd update you guys on progrss.

I brewed this on 10/31/08 and racked it into a secondary tonight. Still a little cloudy and I don't think it will clear up. Very light color - lightest brew I've ever made for sure. Perhaps when I bottle it and once it gets carbed up cold condition it???

Anyway FG is 1.010 making it about a 3.9%ABV. A little low but . . .what can ya do. Should have used 6-row and my PH is off the scale high which is not conducive for ultra light ales (another fix for next time).

I'll spend a week in the secondary and then I have to bottle it as the pipeline ain't stopping LOL

I've heard minute rice works great - makes the beer nice and crisp. Its already gelantanized so you don't have to cook it first - just crack it and mash it with something with some enzymes. I've been meaning to try it, I use flaked rice though.

Very interested to see how this turns out, too. I've got a hefe and an IPA on deck, but after those, I was looking for something light and crisp. BM's Centennial Blonde was the most likely candidate, but if this turns out well, I might head for adjunct junction instead. Thanks for being a guinea pig! :cross:

The one BIG thing I'm worried about is PH for this style of beer. I have a high PH during mashing which is not conducive to light colored beers an could give me a dull flavor. I'll fix this next time.

PH - the final frontier!

UPDATE! 11/30/08

Brewed 10/31/08 Bottled 11/23/08

Crystal Clear - Bud Lite color SRM 3ish.

Taste? Well - It's the best Bud I've ever had. Seriously - not a cut to homebrew (I loath macro beer).

to be honest I would never make this for myself but I guarantee friends that think ANY homebrew is too dark will love this. I will test market it Wednesday at the local brewery (they allow me to do this as they no longer make beer).

My ONLY problem was the OG which was high as I was expecting and the FG did not go as low as I was hoping - still about 4% ABV.

creamyDreamy2.jpg

Latest posts

Back