Yeast Starter Timing - <24 hours ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBugeater

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing tomorrow and will probably end up pitching yeast about 20-24 hours from when I get the starter made, which would be about now or in a couple hours.

I've had a hectic couple of days and haven't been able to get to everything I wanted to, namely getting my starters...started.

SO. Do i just pitch my Wyeast pitchable yeast, or make a starter that wont have but about 20+ hours to "start" and pitch that?

Thanks.

MNBugeater

Go ahead and make a starter now. It will have time to "wake up" and probably double at least once before you pitch it tomorrow. I'm assuming you aren't brewing something really big.

GT

I always make liquid yeast starters 2 to 6 days in advance and that gives you plenty of time to step up to a larger volume. I don't see any problem with Nottingham or Safale if you have no time.

I don't brew until my starter has come to a halt. I've had to push a brew day back a day or two in order to let the starter wind down. The reason I wait is so I can let all the yeast settle so I can pour off all the excess liquid. My starter is always a quarter pound of DME in 4 cups of water, boil for about 20 min, cool, pour into a half gallon growler, pitch yeast, and watch.

All that being said, I think you should be fine pitching your starter pack as is. I think that's what it's designed for. I use White Labs. I've pitched just a vial into 5 gal and been fine.

Back