American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this and its been in the bottles for 2 months. Turned out great. My only issue is that due to all the hops I really only got about four gallons out of it. This was my most expensive brew to date but my favorite for sure. Thanks for the recipe. Anyone on the fence about this one, just do it you won't be sorry. Here's my label for it.

zombie.jpg

First, welcome fellow Cincinnatian (is that a word?)!

I was going to ask if you got any, but I see on your twitter feed, you did! I had plans on Thurs, so couldn't get out, but the Lackman said they still had some on Friday, but by the time I got down there, it was gone. Hoping to get some at 8 Ball tomorrow.

Hope you find a clone. Let me know if you do.

I never did a Citra only beer. Ive never had zombie dust but love me some Dreadnaught. the grains are similar, based on the homebrew recipes. ZD has some extra character malts. Looks like I need to scam up some Citra!

Is the recipe on the first post the most updated/best version? I really want to try this brew but don't want to wade through all 85 pages to make sure. Thanks in advance.

Due to some...uhm...screw ups we'll call them this got dry hopped after 10 days because fermentation wasn't done. Ok...basically we ended up WAY overshooting the OG and it ended up at 86 points instead of the 66 points it calls for. Guess I can slap an imperial on this and call it a day. Anyway, I've been thinking about leaving this for 5 days (til Saturday morning), pitching some gelatin and cold crashing this till we bottle this on Sunday.

Would this short the dry hopping schedule? My concern is that I'd have to wait till next weekend. I mean I could let the hops sit in there for 10 days which would make it Thursday that I'd do the gelatin and cold crash till Sunday and then bottle. So which is better?

4.5 days dry hopping, 1.5 days cold crash and bottle? or
10 days dry hopping, 2.5 days cold crash and bottle?

I searched through the first few pages of this thread thinking someone would have posted it. For everyone that's made this how much corn sugar have you been using to carb this? Standard 4 oz'er for 2.7 is pretty standard for the APA format but my brother in law was saying this is more like an IPA in an APA format. So which did everyone go with?

Has this recipe been modified at all from the first page? I looked through but couldn't get through all 80+ pages. Thank you

Thanks so much for your quick response. I hope to brew up a 15 gallon batch this wknd using whole leaf hops.

Sent from my HTC One X using Home Brew mobile app

Sorry for the newbie question here. Would 1 11.5 gram pack of S-04 get me where I need to be? Should I rehydrate first or make a starter? Only my 3rd beer and used liquid yeast the other times. Will be making the extract version, I'm excited :)

dbkdev said:
Sorry for the newbie question here. Would 1 11.5 gram pack of S-04 get me where I need to be? Should I rehydrate first or make a starter? Only my 3rd beer and used liquid yeast the other times. Will be making the extract version, I'm excited :)

I have used 1 pack before. No starter. Hydrated vs not hydrated is a debated topic. Personally, I haven't seen a difference, but usually do it if I remember to.

I have used 1 pack before. No starter. Hydrated vs not hydrated is a debated topic. Personally, I haven't seen a difference, but usually do it if I remember to.

So was it just as good w/ 1 pack? what's the ideal pitch. I don't see a cell count on the pack.

I've used both dry and liquid yeast, both have worked effectively. I've never bothered with a starter and never had any issues. I also haven't rehydrated, just pitched straight into my carboy once I hit my pitching temp. It all comes down to your personal preference.

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

i followed this recipe exactly and brewed a 5.5 gal BIAB batch a few days ago. turned out great, preboil 1.054, post 1.065. used a wyeast smackpack, no starter, and fermentation activity has started. will report back how it turns out, but was pleased. thanks for all the hard work on this recipe, now to find a Citra wholesaler...

HELLP :(
So I thought I'd take this on as my second home brew. On the first/second read through I thought the extract part of this recipe was DME and steeping grains. I bought all the ingredients, had the grains crushed, got home, and realized it was a partial mash :(. I have all the grains crushed and in a muslin sack ready to steep tomorrow. I've never done a partial mash. My buddy told me not to panic and instead of steeping for 20 minutes or so, to bring the water up to about 160 and leave the muslin sack in for an hour and I'd be good to go. Is this really all I have to do? I'm a little tight on cash and hope I didnt just waste 60 bucks on ingredients :(

He is correct. U will just have to strain the wort off the grains at the end of ur mashing period and it might be a good idea to sparge the grains with some water at about 168 as well to ensure u get as much of the worry and fermentable sugars off the grains. If u need something to file or want more info on partial mashing http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter16-5.html this website has a section on partial making and I have found everything very useful throughout all my brewing.

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

dbkdev said:
HELLP :( So I thought I'd take this on as my second home brew. On the first/second read through I thought the extract part of this recipe was DME and steeping grains. I bought all the ingredients, had the grains crushed, got home, and realized it was a partial mash :(. I have all the grains crushed and in a muslin sack ready to steep tomorrow. I've never done a partial mash. My buddy told me not to panic and instead of steeping for 20 minutes or so, to bring the water up to about 160 and leave the muslin sack in for an hour and I'd be good to go. Is this really all I have to do? I'm a little tight on cash and hope I didnt just waste 60 bucks on ingredients :(

Just do what you would normally do with steeping grains, but keep them in there for 45 to 60 minutes. 150-156 degrees if you can.

OK sweet thanks! Also to make sure that I understand correctly, add 1.75 oz Citra at 60? Because of the 60 min addition and the fwh at the same time?

OK sweet thanks! Also to make sure that I understand correctly, add 1.75 oz Citra at 60? Because of the 60 min addition and the fwh at the same time?

You can approximate the first wort hop by adding the hops to the wort after you take out the grain bag and before you sparge (if you are sparging). You can then add the 60 min addition as soon as you start boiling. Good luck!

Decided to brew inside today to try and catch the football games. Did a 2.5 gallon batch. Full mash (2 gallons) and manual batch sparge(2.5 gallons). Full boil. 2.9 gallon into the fermenter. Hops: .5 oz at fwh then .75 oz for the other additions. (Alpha 11.4% and beta 3.0% 2012 so added 25% extra) Hit 1.062. Aroma is awesome.

Sent from my HTC One X using Home Brew mobile app

Getting ready to cold crash this Thursday after adding some gelatin. My question though:

For those who have made this how much priming sugar did you use? Or what was your CO2 volume you were aiming for? This is listed as an APA but with the ingredients and everything seems more like an IPA.

Mashing this right now as my first all-grain brew. The grain bill smells amazing.

Had to adjust the hops a little bit though my AA is tad higher than the recipe

Well had some hiccups here and there last night. Managed to hit my numbers for the most part except the batch size I wanted. I topped off with sterilized water and it was still at a OG of about 1.063. I am happy with that. Decided I need a wort chiller sooner than later as it was a mess to get down to 70 degrees last night. I don't know why but once it hit 80 it did not want to drop anymore. Either way, its bubbling happily downstairs at 64-65 degrees. Cant wait!

Ok fellow brewers, need some help. Made this and was thinking that I'd be ok with just a smack pack of yeast for this 5 gallon batch. I mean it's 66 points right. Yes I know I should have done a starter in retrospect.

However, we didn't even come close to our numbers because my brother in law added way too much DME. Long story short it was his first beer making experience and I turned around as he was dumping the last 3 pound bag of DME when we only needed a pound out of it. Needless to say we hit 86 points on this bad boy.

Fermentation was...excessive and furious. But now 21 days later I'm only down to 31 points. Calculating that out it comes out to 64% attenuation and it's supposed to be between 68 and 72%. I'm all but sure the yeasties are gone and I dry hopped 10 days ago like the recipe said. So my question is with the pelleted dry hops in there what should I do?? I was going to cold crash it but I think that's a bad idea at this point.

Do I get the temp back up to 70 degrees and leave it for another week with the dry hops in there? My other problem is that I'm starting to think it's close to where grassy flavors will be imparted because of the dry hops right? Thoughts or ideas are appreciated. Oh and I tasted the sample and it's not as dry as an IPA would be expected but it's also not as sickly sweet as I'd expect for still being at 31 points.

Edit: I decided that with under attenuation that it wasn't a good idea to cold crash. So I moved it back to the bath tub and started up a water bath for it. Next thing I know I'm seeing the trub start to bubble up, hop material get moved around and it looks like I've set off secondary fermentation. I just hope I haven't introduced oxidation.

I would like to brew this, have never tried it but like the sound of it and have enjoyed other Three Floyds beer. I only have 5oz of Citra leaf left, after adjusting the recipe for a 5.5gal batch I would need 8oz. Any good ideas oh how to make this work? I have lots of Columbus, Bravo, Belma, Cascade, Pearle and Willamette. And some Centennial, Mosaic, Chinook, Falconers Flight and Northern Brewer.

I apologize if this has been asked before, I read 30 or so of the 81 pages of this thread and didn't see a good answer.

I finally got to try my brew this weekend and think it turned out great! But I've never tried the real version so have nothing to compare it to, I had to make some changes to work with what hops were left in the freezer from last year.

.75 Chinook FWH
.625 Citra @ 15, 10, 5, and 0
.5 Mosaic @ 15, 10, 5, and 0
2.5 Citra Dry Hop 10 days

As usual lately I screwed up and forgot whirlfloc during the boil so I let it cold crash longer than usual as part of the dry hop time.

Thanks for the help! I can't wait to get more Citra and brew with the original recipe.

I finally got to try my brew this weekend and think it turned out great! But I've never tried the real version so have nothing to compare it to, I had to make some changes to work with what hops were left in the freezer from last year.

.75 Chinook FWH
.625 Citra @ 15, 10, 5, and 0
.5 Mosaic @ 15, 10, 5, and 0
2.5 Citra Dry Hop 10 days

As usual lately I screwed up and forgot whirlfloc during the boil so I let it cold crash longer than usual as part of the dry hop time.

Thanks for the help! I can't wait to get more Citra and brew with the original recipe.

This hop bill looks extremely interesting to me. I've done so many all Citra brews lately that now all Citra brews aren't quite doing it for me. Please let us know how this turned out. I haven't really heard how Chinook turns out as FWH paired with Citra.

I really liked how my last APA turned out, which as all Citra, but I'm trying out an APA with more hop complexity to see how it turns out. I may have overdone the hops, but we will see. I did a 6 gal batch with a very simple grain bill of two row and c-20, and added a pound of hops. A good mix of Columbus, Simcoe, and Centennial, with a splash (1 oz) of Chinook thrown in. Double dry hop of 6 oz (2 oz each of Columbus, Centennial, Simcoe). Adding the second dry hop tonight. Really looking forward to try this one.

This hop bill looks extremely interesting to me. I've done so many all Citra brews lately that now all Citra brews aren't quite doing it for me. Please let us know how this turned out. I haven't really heard how Chinook turns out as FWH paired with Citra.

I really liked how my last APA turned out, which as all Citra, but I'm trying out an APA with more hop complexity to see how it turns out. I may have overdone the hops, but we will see. I did a 6 gal batch with a very simple grain bill of two row and c-20, and added a pound of hops. A good mix of Columbus, Simcoe, and Centennial, with a splash (1 oz) of Chinook thrown in. Double dry hop of 6 oz (2 oz each of Columbus, Centennial, Simcoe). Adding the second dry hop tonight. Really looking forward to try this one.

That's an assload of hops.

Back