Where to find non-pastuerized juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decostanza

Reaction score
Well, as the name implies where are you finding your base? I've checked the local grocery stores, Walmart,etc and am only finding juices that are pastuerized. Certainly adding to my carbon footprint (if you believe in that kind of stuff) driving all over town in what is turning into a quest only equal to the search for the Holy Grail. Even the Motts 100% referenced by so many here is only available pastuerized.
I'm out of NE Indiana...

Thanks for your help on this...
Don

Local Orchards are going to be your best bet. I think even Whole Foods Organic Brand is pasteurized. Here in Georgia, none of our orchards will sell unpasteurized juice. I guess there's a regulation about possibly giving people salmonella or something.

If you could find some like minded people in your area...and a bunch of apples, you could rent a grinder and press for the day. (or buy one)

You don't need to use unpasteurized juice to make cider. So long as it's preservative free you're good to go!

Thanks Pickled Pepper and LeBreton...sure appreciate the help as I'm going nuts trying to find something that works...just when I think I found "the one" the small print indicates it was pastuerized.

Good to know I could use some of the stuff around here. New to cider as mead and wine is my normal thing.

Thanks again,
Don

Thanks Pickled Pepper and LeBreton...sure appreciate the help as I'm going nuts trying to find something that works...just when I think I found "the one" the small print indicates it was pastuerized.

Good to know I could use some of the stuff around here. New to cider as mead and wine is my normal thing.

Thanks again,
Don

I short I don't think you will...often if they don't pasteurize it wild yeast could take up refuge in the juice and turn it to cider before it arrives at your door. You can use anything from organic cider to a can of Allan's...but the less preservatives the better.

Just went with the Motts and put the airlock on a 3 Gal test batch last night. Checked this morning and things are progressing very nicely. I was just getting hung up on the whole pastuerized juice thing and appreciate everyones help here.

Latest posts

Back