Plastic soda bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcLight

Reaction score
Can I reuse a sanitized soda bottle (a clear Pepsi 1 or 2 liter bottle) for beer?
I will keep it in darkness so skunking is not an issue.
How fast does it lose carbonation?
If it takes 2 weeks to carbonate, and is consumed 2 weeks after that, will they be ok?
How long will they hold carbonation? (if its up to 8 weeks, then thats great)

I would like a cheap and easy way to give out beer, other than to have to haul in glass bottles on the train and subway, to give out at work.

Are there cheap alternatives, such as better plastic bottle caps?
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/plastic-screw-caps-for-pet-bottle-28mm-bag-of-24.html

(I tried using the search feature, i couldn't get a good answer)

I use them all the time, even 3 litre ones. The beer keeps for weeks in them and providing you use the proper cap for the bottle never loses carbonation

I store use starsan in some and that takes all the smell out other than rootbeer but I haven't tried yet.. I mainly use them as disposable growers for friends houses and the bowling alley..

rgarry said:
Do you think that beer from kegs can also be stored this way. I have the same issue, never get the bottles back.

I traded a guy a batch for a NFL jersey and gave him 9 2ltr bottles of a hefewizen and he said everything was good and carbed up to the last one 2 months later.. but I also filled those with my beer gun and carbed 2 psi higher to compensate..

I see two ways to do it
1- fill from tap, and cap bottle
2- fill directly from keg

Not sure there will be a difference. Over carbing seems prudent

I see two ways to do it
1- fill from tap, and cap bottle
2- fill directly from keg

Not sure there will be a difference. Over carbing seems prudent

Either use a Beergun, or the "biermuncher bottle filler" (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/) or at the very least, a piece of tubing in the tap to the bottom of the bottle.

Even when I get a growler fill, they use a piece of tubing to help reduce foaming (which decreases the carbonation). Even a cheap piece of tubing is better than not using one, but I like the BMBF a lot, as it works perfectly and it's super easy.

I had this question myself for a long time, and heard many disparage plastic soda bottles. I thought commercial cider bottles or pepsi bottles would last longer as they seemed the hardest.

However, after 10 months I had good carbonation in half a dozen bottles ranging thru the brands and hardness, just reusing original caps and bottles as is.

Thats what happens when you over do an exotic add such as oak chips and grab the remainder for the curious.

Seltzer and soda are both carbonated a good bit higher than most styles of beer, so the bottles are actually rated for higher pressure vs. standard glass beer bottles. They should keep indefinitely, just make sure you get the cap really tight and keep it in the dark!

About two years ago, I made a batch of Ed Wort's "Apfelwein." I do NOT keg, so bottle-conditioning was the only way to go. I cleaned and sanitized the apple juice bottles [3-quart #1 PETE] and used them to bottle the cider. It worked just fine, other than some minor deformation of the plastic "handles" in the bottle. I've also used 2-liter soda bottles successfully. And in a pinch, 2-quart V-8 bottles [again, #1 PETE] work just fine.

glenn514:mug:

Back