mash tun problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gator_brewer

Reaction score
So I'm working on building my first mash tun and I ran into a small problem.

I installed the ball valve and fittings and everything and it's water tight. However, it's not secured, I can easily rotate it. Not sure if this is a big deal or not.

My thoughts are just adding a layer of liquid nails to the outside of the ball valve to help secure it. I figure the outside will mean it doesn't touch the liquid, so it doesn't matter if it is food safe.

Does that sound like a good plan, or does someone have something better?

Thanks

What kind of Mash Tun is it?

I made mine out of a chest cooler. My ball valve also was loose and would move around.

Turns out the threaded nipple I was using was too long. I got a shorter one and now everything is nice and snug.

Maybe you're dealing with something different but that really did the trick on mine.

Thanks for the help guys.

It's a Gatorade 5-gallon cooler (well the Lowe's version of it). I think the problem is the nipple, but I got the smallest one they had. I'll just go with the extra washer to play it safe. I'm afraid it is always "loose" then I won't know if something is wrong in the future and could lose a batch. Plus I'm not sure what (if any) affect there would be on the filter screen inside if it has a batch sitting on it and then the ball valve starts rotating.

Like the others have said: If it's not leaking, leave it alone. I would strongly discourage using any type of adhesive; someday you may want to take it apart to clean or service it and the adhesive will make it a PITA. Mine rotates slightly, but it doesn't leak, and it's not really a load bearing part. Good luck!

FWIW, I have a 10 gallon cooler and the valve seems loose on that as well. But it's never leaked. I wouldn't mess with it if I were you.
Remember that you're attaching a big metal valve onto a relatively thin piece of plastic. Because of that, it'll never be completely solid.

Back