Chr. Hansen wild yeast blends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokinghole

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Chr. Hansen is an industrial lab that provides products to commerical food sectors. They have bacterial cultures for sausage fermentation, yogurt making and many other things.

Today I was on their website and found a frozen yeast product containing a mix of wild yeasts and they sell some that have no saccharomyces in it at all.

http://www.chr-hansen.com/products/product-areas/wine-ingredients/frootzen.html

Does anyone know where to buy products like these? I know where to get their meat products but have not necessarily seen the wine products anywhere I can readily buy.

You may have to start with the business to find who distributes in your area and call the distributors to see what retailers sell that product in your area. In the alternative, you may be able to purchase through an online vendor.

Soooooooo looking for this right now! Start w/ FrootZen for ~4days then and Brett C!!!

anyone else think this guy was going to be involved
027.460x325.jpg

anyone else think this guy was going to be involved
027.460x325.jpg

yes

and wow that article could have been about half the length. so redundant. So what youre saying is it provides a fruitier flavor?

Group buy anyone?

"It is supplied in 1kg frozen bricks and shipped on dry ice. This amount treats about 2,640
gal. of wine. The current price for FrootZen that we supply is $513.36"

So what were you thinking on use? Seems to be good to 4% abv. So start with this yeast, so it gets the simple sugars, then finish with a sacc strain? Could be interesting.

I might be willing to give it a try, but how would you run the group buy? ie. How would you divide it and get it to people?

I'm thinking about using it in Flanders reds and other sours or wheat based beers.

I might consider buying a 1kg brick of it and dividing it up into single serving vials to send out. That way it wouldn't be a group buy, but I could buy it and sell the single servings. That's a lot of goddamn yeast. I just don't know if it'd be worth it. I will continue to work on finding it in smaller cultures.

If you break it up I'd be game for enough for 3-5 batches.

That being said, 1kg.... Sheesh

Only problem is it might not be the same thing ultimately. Just like we're all humans and the same species we're not the same person.

So if I bought it each gallon is recommended a dose of .37grams of this dried yeast. That comes out to only 2.2 grams for six gallons. Which gives me over 450 doses.

Back