Going underway (Navy) - big recipe to age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephonovich

Reaction score
As the title says, I'll be going underway soon-ish for some time. I'm in the Navy, on the USS MISSOURI. I want to make a beer that can sit in the secondary for a few months.

I just started AG, so I'd like to continue doing that. Recently made a IIPA which was awesome, and a spiced coffee stout, also awesome. They were both normal ABV; I'd prefer if this one was bigger, maybe 10%. I haven't made a barleywine yet, so that's an option, although I'm thinking 6+ months may be better.

Most importantly, this can't be anything which requires constant attention, sugar adds, etc. I'm fairly confident that if I can manage an OG of around 1.100 with a good yeast, it should be OK. It should also be tolerant to temperature swings, as SWMBO will have control over the heater - the house normally stays around 70 F, though.

I'm open to ideas or recipes!

I'd look at maybe a kriek or some other lambic that requires a long fementation/conditioning.

Have a safe cruise shipmate.

I'd do a wee heavy Scottish Ale there shipmate. BTW, I had the privilege of seeing the Mighty MO do a full broadside after several hours of various salvos on a RIMPAC back in 1990. I served on the Texas CGN-39 for 89 to 93. Thank you for your service.

Always good to see another submariner! I drove SWMBO nuts the last couple of months I was home for the exact same reason. I'm on IA in Kabul for a year, so I made a LOT of beer before I left. All 5g batches, but they're all designed to age in my garage with zero maintenance (though she'll have to top-off the airlocks once in a while). I have three meads, a barleywine, a cherry-bourbon stout, a Chimay Blue clone, Westy 12 clone, and my own Belgian-dark creation all sitting in secondary until next October. We shall see.

I'd do a wee heavy Scottish Ale there shipmate. BTW, I had the privilege of seeing the Mighty MO do a full broadside after several hours of various salvos on a RIMPAC back in 1990. I served on the Texas CGN-39 for 89 to 93. Thank you for your service.

Agree with the wee heavy. They are very tolerant of fluctuating temps.

BTW - The Mighty MO USS Missouri (Battleship) was decommissioned in 1992 and in 1998 found her final resting place on Battleship Row in Pearl Harbor.

The current USS Missouri is a Virgina-Class attack Submarine, commissioned in July, 2010.

Here's a link to a wee heavy recipe I copied. Hopville . "Braveheart Ale" Strong Scotch Ale Recipe

Off topic
The current USS Missouri is a Virgina-Class attack Submarine, commissioned in July, 2010.

I didn't know that. I remember the MO being decommissioned and being towed from Bremerton. I feel lucky to have seen her fire the big guns up close. BTW BM, thank you for your excellent recipes, there's always one of yours in my pipeline.

Thank you all for the replies!

It is indeed SSN 780. S9G reactor, which is my job to operate (Nuke Electronics Technician 1st Class).

More importantly, beer. Hadn't considered a Wee Heavy. I love Sam Adams version, so I think I'll go with that. I'll look at that recipe tomorrow.

Tomorrow is brew day; doing an Agave Wit for SWMBO - it's her favorite.

Thanks again, everyone.

Oh, about BB-63: I have a Plankowner plaque which has both steel from SSN 780 and teak from the deck of BB-63. It's pretty sweet.

Ahhh, another nuke. I was a MM nuke on the Texas, yes, a knuckle dragger, and am a plank owner from her as well. I went to NPTU Balston Spa at the S3G Triton reactor. I'm now a civilian firefighter for the DON in Bremerton WA. One of our retired inspectors made a bunch of commemorative pens from some of the teak from the MO.

You're the 2nd Nuke I heard of going to a fire department, then. An ET I know around here got out and works as in the highly lucrative position of "Radiological Advisor" for a local fire department. Basically, should Millstone (our friendly local power plant) ever go Chernobyl, he'd direct radcon actions.

Anyhoo, to the beer, I think I'm going to join in the 12-12-12 Wee Heavy club. Bought the Scottish Yeast today, along with a 20 Gallon Blichmann Boilermaker (Christmas present)!

Nice to see other submariners around here.

I served on the USS DRUM (SSN 677) from 89-93, out of San Diego. Had a great time, and traveled to all sorts of cool places.

So far, I've seen... PCAN. (Port Canaveral, Florida for non-Navy types). Turns out New Con/PSA sucks for port calls. That being said, PCAN is absolutely awesome for beer - my favorite day was dinner at Slow 'n Low (an awesome BBQ joint), followed by beer at World of Beer - look it up. They have a beer menu. They serve beer. They also serve water. Over 50 on tap, over 500 in bottles. Best of all, after a night of debauchery, I got charged maybe $35. AMAZING TIME.

Back