• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Too good to be true

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest factor affecting oak flavor is how, where, and how long the oak was aged. Big deal coopers in America will ship American oak to France to age because of the microflora in the woods there. They'll age them for like 3+ years before shipping them back and making barrels out of them.

But that's for distillers who might put $1m worth of product in a single big barrel, so they really want to be sure they have the best possible barrel.

Without knowing more about those barrels, it's hard to say. But since they're made for tequila and they're inexpensive, I would bet they weren't aged for a long time.

That said, they're cheap enough it might be fun to try out, but I wouldn't expect anything amazing. If you want something really good, I'd save up for a used whiskey barrel.

Back