DIY Temp Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsme6582

Reaction score
I came across this through Hackaday.com. This guy, Mike, built a temp controller to convert a chest freezer into a fridge. I thought this could prove to be useful for someone. He sells kits and completed models (which seem pretty pricey). If you scroll down the page he has everything needed to make your own (parts, diagrams, source code). All you need is some basic soldering skills and the know-how to program an Atmel microcontroller. I am not selling this, haven't bought it, and haven't built it. I thought I'd throw this one out there to see where it goes. Although, my instincts tell me not far.

http://screwdecaf.cx/yatc.html

I can get a digital Ranco delivered for less than $65, end of story. Plus, he has a cheesy mustache.

_

Cripes....I'll just stick with my $30 chinese ebay aquarium temp controller :D

Is this the one you have?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370478290421&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1123

Mine was only $17. Its still on the way though from the slow boat from Hong Kong. It is listed as 230v for control though do you use yours with 110V? If I can use it for 110V I plan on swapping out my Dwyer 2 stage switch and using it in my brew setup and the aquarium controller in my fermentation chamber.

I currently need to control hot and cold in my fermentation chamber and this unit should be able to do both.

Is this the one you have?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370478290421&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1123

Mine was only $17. Its still on the way though from the slow boat from Hong Kong. It is listed as 230v for control though do you use yours with 110V? If I can use it for 110V I plan on swapping out my Dwyer 2 stage switch and using it in my brew setup and the aquarium controller in my fermentation chamber.

I currently need to control hot and cold in my fermentation chamber and this unit should be able to do both.

That's the one I have, but there are both 230v and 110v versions of it. Quality_link2000, who used to be the only seller of these, will only ship 110v ones to countries with 110v household service...dunno about your seller.

Here's one of his auctions:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Digital-Te...ultDomain_0&hash=item3f02ce0f7d#ht_4185wt_881

My kit for the YATC just arrived today... I corresponded with Mikey several times before the purchase and think the controller will do very well. Not to get preachy, but I went with his because it's an open design (open source), and I think the world needs more of that.

IMG_1140.JPG

I'll post pics of the assembly and report back on performance once my whole rig is up and humming...

Umm he said the site sells them and lists all the parts and freeware to build your own if you want. I think it fits well in the DIY. ;)

Gunner. Exactly right. I definitely think that is exactly what the OP was shooting for. If only I could remember his username. Anyway, more DIY, less buying other controllers.

Gunner. Exactly right. I definitely think that is exactly what the OP was shooting for. If only I could remember his username. Anyway, more DIY, less buying other controllers.

Doh! Thought you were attacking yourself there!:drunk: Too much homebrew tonight.

I do like the open source idea.:mug:

I loved his advertising pic, YATC temperature controler; isn't that redundant?

I whipped one up with a PIC u-controller. Plan on adding a XBee for wireless monitoring and adjustment via my home automation.

Bubba

Are you really going to have a wireless fridge?! That seems a little much, but why not!

Any updates vii? I'd love to know how it's going. I see you got the kit. Is it as straightforward as it seems? Are you working with it as?

Bubba

Are you really going to have a wireless fridge?! That seems a little much, but why not!

Its not as of yet, but will be. Since I have the whole house automated, its just the time to code up the PIC to use my protocol. Plus then I can ramp up/down the temps as the fermentation progresses (and all from 1500 miles away from home. I travel a lot)

Latest posts

Back