Using a Juicer to make soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendavanza

Reaction score
I got a Jack LaLane Juicer at Target (yeah they sell them on TV too) and was thinking it might be a great way to make fresh sodas. I'm going to go with the homeade carbonator cap, and juice things like ginger, lemon and or lime, simmer the juice a bit, and add honey/sugar other flavorings to the water, then force carb. If I make something I really like, I'll step it up to a 3 gallon corny in my kegerator.
The juicer shreds the hell out of anything, roots, leafy greens, even sweet potatoes. You can collect the pulp or just discard it and use the juice. You can get some nice bitterness from using citrus rinds.
ideas, suggestions, experiences?
I need something to drink when alcohol is not appropriate, and I love carbonated beverages... The kegerator is full of beer and apfelwein.
-Ben

ok well I just tried it with 1 whole lemon, about 1/4 to 1/3 lb ginger, juiced them, added 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup sugar, tablespoon molasses, and simmered it for a couple minutes, added 1/2 oz real vanilla extract, turned off the heat, poured into 2 liter, with filtered water, carbonating now. I'll report back. That may not be enough sugar or ginger, and next time I'll weigh the ginger before juicing it. I also tried a lime soda using 4 whole limes, 1 lemon, 1/4 cup honey, 1/2 cup sugar.
cheers
-Ben

ok well I just tried it with 1 whole lemon, about 1/4 to 1/3 lb ginger, juiced them, added 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup sugar, tablespoon molasses, and simmered it for a couple minutes, added 1/2 oz real vanilla extract, turned off the heat, poured into 2 liter, with filtered water, carbonating now. I'll report back. That may not be enough sugar or ginger, and next time I'll weigh the ginger before juicing it. I also tried a lime soda using 4 whole limes, 1 lemon, 1/4 cup honey, 1/2 cup sugar.
cheers
-Ben

any results? Thanks!

These sodas are great. Not the syrupy fakey kind like you get a the convenience store, but maybe more like a italian soda or sparkling fruit juice.
The Ginger recipe worked well, the next batch I bumped up the ginger but simmered it longer, next up is a lemonade.

I don't have a juicer. Sad. And as of last week, I have not a blender either. My wife accidentally killed it the day before I was to try out some new soda recipes. Also sad.So, I thought, what else do I have. Enter the food processor.
Originally we were aiming for baby food with some canned fruit leftovers, but then we tasted it and thought, hmmm, sorbet. Then, since I've been wanting to do some new soda, it fell that way.

I processed:
2 cups canned peaches
1 cup canned pineapple
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
added water to about 1/2 gallon to thin it out
sweetened to taste with sugar
1/4 teaspoon Red Star Cote des blancs yeast

bottled it up in 12oz brown glass bottles
this was last night around 8
this morning at 10, they were too fizzy.
I popped the top and drank one warm after putting the others in the fridge.
End product, tastes okay, would have been better as sorbet.
Pulpy end product, not bad, but next time I'll probably simmer the mix and then process it again, I need to get my blender fixed. Hopefully it's under warranty.
Regarding the carbonation, this is the first time I've used that yeast. Right off I would say I used too much. So I will half it the next time I use that yeast.
Overall, I'd say the flavor needed fixing. Next time I'll shoot for fresh peaches, and leave out the pineapple.
Would maltodextrin give it a creamy consistency?
Can I add cream to the mix, cuz that sounds a little scary, but yummy?
I think I'm aiming for peaches and cream soda. Any ideas?

I have no idea on the cream. I would think you would be risking a spoil. I would suggest maltodextrine for body, or lactose.
Luckily the juicer I have leaves a very small amount of pulp, and that settles out pretty quickly under refrigeration and pressure. I've never used yeast for carbonation in a soda but i am aware it is what most people do.
-Ben

These sodas are great. Not the syrupy fakey kind like you get a the convenience store, but maybe more like a italian soda or sparkling fruit juice.
The Ginger recipe worked well, the next batch I bumped up the ginger but simmered it longer, next up is a lemonade.

Sounds like good results. I had a relative ask me about making apple soda. Any suggestions/thoughts?

Sounds like good results. I had a relative ask me about making apple soda. Any suggestions/thoughts?

I think it is called "Apfelschore" and, IIRC, it is 60% Water and 40% Apple juice carbonated to 2.5 to 3.0 volumes. I think that was the suggested mix, or maybe it was just the mix I used.

Loved it but, I have found Kool-Aid easier, equally refreshing, ideal for a 2 liter bottle with carbonator cap, and easier to control the amount and type of sugar used. the worst I have done was Invisible Blue with Brown Sugar. Blech! But I don;t think it was the sugars fault. The best I have done was Black Cherry with date palm sugar. Yummo!

in Germany apfelschoftcola is 2/3rds apple juice and 1/3rd sprite. Not bad and a very quick thing to make, no need to force carb.

I am planning to do a green apple soda with the juicer. Good to know some ratios. The natural soda with lower sugars is appealing to me. I am going to try using agave nectar for sweetening, as it has a low glycemic index. Also Stevia is interesting. I bought some stevia packets once, they tasted awful, but I have a stevia plant growing and the leaves taste great. Now how would I extract the sweetness of the leaves without damaging the flavor?

I just read your old posts about making soda with fresh fruit. I would like to know how much psi did you used, how long it takes to carb, did you shakes them? I'm making fresh fruit juice soda in 5 gal and need more info.
thank you,

Back