Patersbier - Low FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freyguy

Reaction score
So, I always try to keep something light in rotation for the BMC folks. I did up a Patersbier for a party I have coming up. Pretty simple recipe:

9lb Pils (Should be belgium, I used German)
1oz Traditional 60min
0.5oz Saaz 10min
WLP530 Abbey Ale (Suppoesed to use Wyeast #3787)

Mashed at 147 as per instructions, boiled for 90min due to pils. OG was right on at 1.049. I just pitched the vial due to the lower gravity and skipped the starter. It took a while to get going, but it went at it, and almost blew off. Fermented at about 69, and it rose to about 73 or so. I let it sit in the primary for about 10 days due to traveling, and when I transfered to secondary last night, I was at 1.007!!! I was hoping for about 1.012, or maybe 1.010 worse case. This seems to be what others are getting.

This seems to be an ongoing problem with most, not all, of my beers. I keep changing variables, but can't find out why they are fermenting down so far. I've skipped doing big starters with the same results, I've bought new thermometers to ensure that my mash temps are holding where they should be. I'm getting the results with liquid or dry yeast. Anything else I should be looking at?

I do use pure oxygen on every batch for a minute or two, and I do use the reccomended amount of Wyeast yeast nutrients in every batch. Should I try less aeration, or no nutrients? I don't mind the dryness every once in a while, but it's really causing my hops to shine through, and it scares away some of the BMC drinkers.

Thanks for any input, and the hydro sample did taste great!! :mug:

Im no expert but if I were you I would change nothing but mash temperature. 147 is on the low side and should give you good attenuation. Up it for the next batch and see what happens.

Low mash temperatures is supposed to produce highly fermentable worts. You've got that. In other words your setup is good!

I'm only on my 8th AG-batch, mostly with US-05 yeast, and I've found a nice correlation between mash-temp and attenuation. I plotted my attenuations against mash-temps and made myself a chart to determine mash temperature from desired attenuation and for the last brews I've hit my FG's quite where I've wanted.

For example, your mash-temperature of about 64 degrees Celsius should give 82% attenuation as per my (US-05) chart. that is 1.008 FG, quite close to yours. To achieve FG 1.012, or 75% attenuation the same says to mash at 66.7 celsius or 152F.

I think beefeater hit the nail on the head. For the record I'm a rather inexperienced brewer, my next brew will be my first AG attempt, as I got single digit extract & partial mash brews under my belt. The only other possibilities I detect are that you're using no caramel or roasted malts. Either would add non fermentable sugars to the wort raising the FG. Also Jamil Zainasheff says for a wort of that strength, you'd only need 30-45 seconds of oxygen. The extra oxygen might have some effect, I'm not sure but someone else might have an opinion. The Jamil show basicly said the effect of over oxegenating wort would be an impact on flavor. I can't believe over oxegenating would cause a more fermentable wort...

Schlante,
Phillip

so once i thought i had the same problem, then i corrected my hydro for the temp... thats when i was green as grass though.
the chart idea never occurred to me. props to you! i'm going to try that.

Raise the mash temp to 152 - 154, and add a little Carapils malt for some extra body.

Thanks for the input guys. The weird thing is that the others who have done the same recipe at the same temp are getting higher FG's. I can raise my mash temp as a fix though, I just wanted to make sure nothing else was standing out as wrong. I'm gonna carb it up later this week for a party on Sunday. I added some Gelatin to the secondary and it dropped out clear as can be. I'm quite excited for this one. :D

Thanks for the input guys. The weird thing is that the others who have done the same recipe at the same temp are getting higher FG's. I can raise my mash temp as a fix though, I just wanted to make sure nothing else was standing out as wrong. I'm gonna carb it up later this week for a party on Sunday. I added some Gelatin to the secondary and it dropped out clear as can be. I'm quite excited for this one. :D

Are the others using the same strain or the Wyeast? 85% atten. isn't too out of line for this strain.

If you follow the suggestions in this thread I would recommend using the same strain next time. If you get ahold of the Wyeast, try the recipe again without changing it. Better to control one variable at a time.

- Eric
:mug:

Just wanted to drop in and report on this beer. I kegged on Thursday, and it was carbed Saturday night, just in time for a party on Sunday. It was a big hit and I got several compliments on it. I'm amazed that at 1.007 it didn't taste dry, but I think the slightly higher carbonation helps. I won't change a thing next time I do it. It's nice and light, but has that belgian twang to it. Satisfies the BMC drinkers, and keeps us beer geeks interested. I reccomend it to everyone. :)

Back