Over Carbonation Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbeerfan

Reaction score
I have a Maibock that appears to be over-carbonated. It IS possible that the wort had not completely fermented(too many lessons learned to list).
The bottles are sitting in a closet at 75F. I am always trying to learn as I go so I chill a bottle once a week and taste it. I know it's not ready yet but I want to know what the brew is doing along the way. After the first week, there was alot of carbonation in the chilled beer. The second week I opened another bottle for investigation. Again lots of carbonation. I am now in my 3rd week and still the same. When I opened a room temp bottle, it foamed until there was very little left in the bottle.
I have never had this problem before and I am certain that I did not use too much priming sugar.
I have learned a few things since this batch was bottled but is there anything that can be done at this point? Will letting it sit a while longer make it better or should I just stick it in the fridge and put this one into the "lessons learned" file?

The problem won't go away. When the gushers showed up it was too late. You should have put them all in the fridge before then.

Best advice I can give you is to get the brews as cold as possible. Sanitize the bottles before opening and open them over a pitcher. All the brew will gather there and wait for the head to subside before serving. ;)

I have had some pretty bad gushers before and cooling them for a couple of days in the fridge usually does the trick for me.

There is so much CO2 in solution that when there is a sudden pressure release it wants to come out of solution (especially when it is warm). When you want to drink beer that is over carbonated just cool it to 33F and when you open it crack the cap very slowly so a small pressure release is heard and let it bleed off slowly. When you don't hear it any more you can remove the cap and pour down the side of a chilled glass very slowly. Stop if it foams too much in the glass and set the bottle down gently and let them both release the CO2 for a couple of minutes. You can then pour more in the glass. The above usually works well.

What makes them gush? I seem to have the same problem.
If the beers taste a little thinner, and perhaps with a hint of off-flavour (e.g., a stale plastic-like taste), you may have a gusher infection. These are pretty common and can be caused by a wild yeast or bacterial infection. The infection may only get worse with time, so the only thing to do is get all your bottles as cold as possible and drink them quickly (as per the good advice above).

If you know you added the correct amount of priming sugar, and the beer is not infected, then apparently the beer did not finish fermenting out fully before you bottled. This is less of an issue. It is a PITA, but you can carefully vent and re-seal all your bottles periodically until the pressure comes down.

Back