Not Buying BMC Ever Again... Am I alone in this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always cringe when my friends tell me all they have is Coors or Bud light, but there is always a place for it. I can't drink more than 2 home brews an hour...bud light on the other hand...I usually lose track around 11 or 12.

I always cringe when my friends tell me all they have is Coors or Bud light, but there is always a place for it. I can't drink more than 2 home brews an hour...bud light on the other hand...I usually lose track around 11 or 12.

I hope you either have a good size bladder, or there bathroom is vacant often enough (for drinking 11-12 in an hour). :D

If you make a lower ABV home brew, with a medium or medium light body, you should be able to kick back more than 2 pints an hour. Although I tend to enjoy my home brew more, so I don't care if I have only one (or two) in an hour. Of course, the bigger brews can get you into trouble if you have more than a pint in an hour. Well, they can if you need to navigate stairs afterwards. :D :drunk:

Ok, so here's the deal. I haven't bought a big business beer in quite some time, and I don't think I ever will again. It's not that I think I am too good for it. It's just every time I drink it, I find it lacking. Even Guinness and the other big name imports.

Please note that we have plenty of local breweries, and honestly I would rather give my money to them, than any big business brewery.

I just wandered if anyone else feels the same way.

I feel the same way, with a coupla exceptions. If it's a nitro tap I will drink Guinness. How can you not drink a good Guinness tap?

I do like Blue Moon, blue was recently disappointed by their Winter Abbey Ale. Felt flat and boring, no matter how much I let it warm up.

I also was not impressed by their Abbey Ale. So far I only like the original Blue Moon, and like I mentioned, only when I find a fresh keg on tap.

I used to brew my own wit & wheat beers but I couldn't consume a entire keg before the great flavor profile fell off. So, a good Blue Moon every once in a while is a good "fix" for me.

I also was not impressed by their Abbey Ale. So far I only like the original Blue Moon, and like I mentioned, only when I find a fresh keg on tap.

I used to brew my own wit & wheat beers but I couldn't consume a entire keg before the great flavor profile fell off. So, a good Blue Moon every once in a while is a good "fix" for me.

I'm going to try combatting this with flavor extracts. The wife seems to like the flavor profile of Hefe so far, so I'm thinking a tube of extract per keg to keep her happy and drinking it may be worth it.

PBR s my go to for commercial beers, otherwise I haven't bought anything but craft or homebrew in years...probably 4-5yrs in fact.

Nightshade said:
PBR s my go to for commercial beers, otherwise I haven't bought anything but craft or homebrew in years...probably 4-5yrs in fact.

I switched to goldmine after the storm. I don't even drink that though anymore

I'm going to go ahead and risk my life:

In the hot summer heat, I like Bud Light Lime.

Bring on the pitchforks!

emmdubb23 said:
I don't think its elitism at all, to me there's something that the big brewing companies dont get about craft beer. Every one of their purchasing/re-labeling attempts at entering the market become obvious at first sip... Well, to me at least.
If you don't feel that way, that's fine, I am not saying I am better at all.
This has been on my mind for quite a while and I was wandering if anyone else felt the same way.

Tell this to Mitch Steele

I'm sure you're not alone, but I can't go there with you. But this conversation was tired before the first post...is there really anything new to be said on this topic?

Does it make you a beer snob to go to a party.. and see this line up:

Lite, Bud Light, Coors Light, Heineken, and Corona

and basically want to leave and either find a better party or go to the store and get a better beer..?

BTW in that situation a Yuengling would be better than nothing :) I personally like their Black and Tan. At our local grocery stores price on Yuengling B&T is CHEAPER then most BMC.. so when broke its my go to beer. Its' like a poor mans craft beer. Its not great, but its a WHOLE lot better than BMC and anything with the word light or ultra on the label.

Does it make you a beer snob to go to a party.. and see this line up:

Lite, Bud Light, Coors Light, Heineken, and Corona

and basically want to leave and either find a better party or go to the store and get a better beer..?

Yes. No different than going to a cookout and leaving to go to a restaurant to get your idea of a better burger because the ones offered weren't up to your standards.

And even as Stone's brewmaster, he considers those who bash BMC biased and ill-informed. I heard him say this is one area he'll actually engage in debate.

I will say I am in agreement with most here.. They are what they are..

Hot day working on the car.. MGD or Coors Light fits the bill.. as I AM looking for a cold and refreshing beverage and beer flavored water is perfect.

Actually I would take a MGD, MHL, Coors Light, over some of the overly hoppy IPS out there. :)

Speaking of Hoppy "Piney" IPAs.. anyone ever use pine needles or juniper berries instead of hops in their beer..? I know I have tasted some beers that taste like they did.

I don't buy their products, but saying I won't would be a lie.
Who knows? I like beer. I like great beer.
Sometimes, I'm having a beer at the bar with a buddy having a good time and I drink what they stock.
Sometimes I buy cheap whiskey so that I don't share the more expensive stuff with someone who wouldn't know or care about the difference, I could see that with beer also.

I don't hate the companies, I just don't like their flagship beers.
I do wish I had a large stake in them! They brew what people want to buy.

I agree to an extent. I haven't bought the BMC flagship beers in over a year. But I buy Goose Island beers all the time and they are part of In-Bev. In-Bev owns too many smaller good Brewing Co's for me too not buy them simply because In-Bev owns them. To me the BMC flagships beers are good for only one thing: keeping my buzz going in between my high gravity brews on tap, which I do when drinking with neighbors. They always have a stock of bud light on hand. I give them some home brews and they let me keep the buzz rolling along with some buds. I never turn down beer though. I have a couple neighbors who will drop off a case or two of Miller lite ever now and them as their way of saying thanks to sharing my home brews.

It depends what I'm doing. Riding the lawnmower or fishing, I like and prefer a light BMC beer.

Whenever someone asks what my favorite beer is I always answer "free beer". I stayed in a hotel for seven months straight one time that had a free Budweiser tap weeknights from 530-8pm. I've never actually bought regular Budweiser but have drank a ton of it :)

And even as Stone's brewmaster, he considers those who bash BMC biased and ill-informed. I heard him say this is one area he'll actually engage in debate.

I don't really see what that has to do with my post. I haven't bashed BMC, I never did, all I said was that their attempts at masking their big names were weak and it comes through in the finished product. I would honestly love to Anheiser Busch make beers of all sorts, with their label on it. Hell, with the money at their disposal they should be the source of beer innovation. Their position is not their fault, they were the survivors in a reemerging market.
I am going to buy Mitch's New book on IPA, but honestly I could care less what his opinion is on BMC or global warming for that matter.
And furthermore, I am about as much a hipster as an apple is an orange . This whole post has become ridiculous...

Yes. No different than going to a cookout and leaving to go to a restaurant to get your idea of a better burger because the ones offered weren't up to your standards.

I'll leave a party to go get beer I like. I don't think it's like leaving a cookout to get a burger at a restaurant at all. if they have at the party is store bought beer, they didn't brew it them selves. and I'm done with eating/drinking/putting up with crap out of pure politeness.

I'll leave a party to go get beer I like. I don't think it's like leaving a cookout to get a burger at a restaurant at all. if they have at the party is store bought beer, they didn't brew it them selves. and I'm done with eating/drinking/putting up with crap out of pure politeness.

I generally bring a 12 pack or growler to any party I go to, its of course welcome to all, but I drink on it too.

I generally bring a 12 pack or growler to any party I go to, its of course welcome to all, but I drink on it too.

I quit bringing home brew to parties. hell, haven't been to a house party in 3-4 years. got tired of seeing them sit un-drank or dumped out because it wasn't High Life/BL/Coors/PBR....

As a sidenote, I don't drink to just get drunk, hell I rarely drink more than 2-3 beers at once. I legitimately enjoy the taste of a good beer. If a beer isn't enjoyable to drink, I don't drink it. It's not about getting or maintaining a buzz, its about enjoying every sip.

I quit bringing home brew to parties. hell, haven't been to a house party in 3-4 years. got tired of seeing them sit un-drank or dumped out because it wasn't High Life/BL/Coors/PBR....

I take it home with me too, never had anyone pour it out, I would be kinda pissed...

Back