Here goes nothing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVilleggiante

Reaction score
Adding white peaches and elderflower to my American Pale Ale today at the cold crash stage. Plan is to let it sit for about two weeks and see how it turns out.

I've done a white peach Wit in the past. Problem with fruit and bottle carbing (since you can't just get rid of the yeast) is the yeast eat the fruit sugars leading to a very tart/sour'ish taste. The white peach flavor was there, it was just too tart. I spoke with Kelly Taylor ,the head brewer of the Heartland Brewery here in NYC, and he'd said they add the apricot in their Summer Time apricot ale at kegging time, since the beer is filtered and the yeast aren't present any longer to consume the apricot sugars.

You can also back sweeten with lactose. For my Apple Pie Ale this time around I just mashed at 158, we'll see if that helps balance things out. My last Apple Pie ale still came out good so I think this tweak will be all I need.

Good luck with it man!

Rev.

Since I've added these at cold crash stage, it's kind of like what Heartland does right? I mean, the yeast will be inactive and therefore it should help bring out the peach flavor and subdue the sour/bitter taste.

I've done a white peach Wit in the past. Problem with fruit and bottle carbing (since you can't just get rid of the yeast) is the yeast eat the fruit sugars leading to a very tart/sour'ish taste. The white peach flavor was there, it was just too tart. I spoke with Kelly Taylor ,the head brewer of the Heartland Brewery here in NYC, and he'd said they add the apricot in their Summer Time apricot ale at kegging time, since the beer is filtered and the yeast aren't present any longer to consume the apricot sugars.

You can also back sweeten with lactose. For my Apple Pie Ale this time around I just mashed at 158, we'll see if that helps balance things out. My last Apple Pie ale still came out good so I think this tweak will be all I need.

Good luck with it man!

Rev.

Latest posts

Back