starter wort on draft

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrrseio

Reaction score
has anyone thought about having a dedicated starter wort keg?

at $4/lb for DME, brewing a keg worth of 2row and racking it hot into a keg seems pretty appealing. without any concern for tannins, etc., you can really wring the grain out and get excellent efficiency, too.

it will be sanitized, won't need refrigeration and can be dispensed with co2 and a party keg setup. cheap starter wort on draft!

I would be concerned with the sanitation of the lines and faucets for dispensing. Also, I would also be concerned as you are only boiling the wort... this does not = sterilization which means that it could not be stored warm. I would venture that if sanitation is not perfect then the potential is high for contaminated batches. Once you address those concerns if it is still cheaper than $4/lb for DME then go for it.

Another thought... if you were to pull your wort and reboil before you use it, then you would probably be good to go. I just don't think I would take a pull and add yeast right to it... too much potential for contamination in the faucet.

Right off that bat that seemed like a good idea to me but the points raised above are solid concerns. I still haven't done this but you should just go the canning route and can a bunch of starter wort. People seem to like that process.

good points. i would probably reboil it just for peace of mind, but i like the savings and the storage potential. are my DME options standard or are you guys paying a lot less?

It's probably easier to just plan ahead on your next batch for extra wort production. I've talked to people who even decant the dregs of the Mashtun and boil kettles when they are cleaning up. Then just follow the sticky here for canning starter wort. Or even do a Mini Mash one day just for the specific purpose of creating starter wort. You'll still want to can them as if you were canning vegetables.

This was from a HBT post about the subject if you haven't seen it... His website holds the pics so I posted that instead of the text only thread.
http://brew.dkershner.com/2010/step-by-step-making-and-canning-sterile-starter-wort/

If you don't sterilize the wort it won't keep for a long time. Boiling kills live microbes but not all spores. What I was doing for a while was a third sparge of my grains to about 1.030 wort and freezing I in ziplocks to boil on starter day. I have a pressure canner which makes it shelf stable at warm temps. Read whites yeast book for some microbio schooling!

Latest posts

Back