no fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
i brewed yesterday. rehydrated my 34/70 yeast at 55 degrees. no fermation 24 hours later. thinking about open it up and changing the lid on the fermator. will wait till tommorrow until i do that. it is a helles. beginning gravity 1.050. pitched yeast at 60 degrees.

What temp are you fermenting at? The first lager I made took a little over 24 hours to start. The Helles I've got going right now started within 12 hours, but that was with a massive starter.

What temp did the package say to rehydrate at? I have no experience with dry lager yeast, but when I use S-05, I rehydrate a lot warmer than that (around 90º I think).

i found the problem it was the lid. big huge yeast cake on top. almost 3inches thick.. I got a new fermator and the lid sucked the hole for the air lock had a foam piece and the lid didnt fit right. it looks good..

HI can you guys help me? I have a brewhouse prairie wheat kit and used a wyeast 3638 I brewed it 6days ago and its not been doing much at all. It has blobs on the bottom and never did ferment s/g started At 1.050 its now at 1.030 should i add some dry yeast or just leave it?

2012-04-14 14.17.35.jpg

HI can you guys help me? I have a brewhouse prairie wheat kit and used a wyeast 3638 I brewed it 6days ago and its not been doing much at all. It has blobs on the bottom and never did ferment s/g started At 1.050 its now at 1.030 should i add some dry yeast or just leave it?

I wouldn't be just worried yet. The white stuff on the bottom is yeast that is growing. It could be still fermenting, albeit slowly.

Did you make a successful yeast starter for the liquid yeast you pitched in?

I brewed it 6days ago and its not been doing much at all. It has blobs on the bottom and never did ferment s/g started At 1.050 its now at 1.030 should i add some dry yeast or just leave it?

a 20 point drop in 6 days is fermenting.

Yes, use a starter for all liquid yeast. Otherwise how do you know if the yeast is healthy enough to ferment your beer?

I thought that if the smack pack swelled up then it should be good. But I will be using a starter from now on. Thanks for the info.

jaytscott said:

I wouldn't touch it. If it dropped points then it's fermenting regardless if you see activity or not.

It could still ferment out, though you did toss a small amount of yeast into a huge amount of beer. As long as the yeast does not become to exhausted and can keep eating, breeding and pooing alcohol you should be okay... But it could be stuck. So you can take this advice with a grain of salt as I only have limited experience with stuck fermentation;

If I were in your shoes, I would take a reading every 24-48 hours and so long as it continues to drop keep the statues quo and leave it alone. If it was not moving within 3 days I would probably try to raise the temperature slightly (like 2-3C, your in Edmonton which is probably just as cold as Calgary now) and see if that helps coax the yeast back to life. If within 7 days its obviously stuck that is when I would toss dry yeast in.

Back