Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have 3 safety razors otw...

A 1955 Tech, a 1962 travel Tech, and an army-issue khaki Gillette - auction said WWI/II, but I don't think it's quite that old.

We'll see how I do with these. If it shows promise, then I might go for a Fatboy or some other adjustable, and if I keep it up, maybe eventually drop some cash on something pricier but cool and/or rare and/or unusual, like a Gillette Bulldog or Merkur Vision.

Doubt I'll ever get into using straights, but I may eventually just get one for the heck of it. For now, though, I'm just waiting for the 3 safety razors I've already ordered to show up so that I can polish them real nice and get started.

I saw last night there are recommendations to only shave with the grain, one or two passes, for up to three weeks before going across or against the grain. Oops.

I did all three on my first 4-5 shaves. Maybe that's why my skin on my face was so pissed off at me. Yesterday and today I went easier and tried less for the BBS feel. Skin's looking and feeling better. I'll give it some more time to adjust.

Try different blades, when I started I purchased a variety pack from west coast shaving and found one that was the most comfortable for my face and havent strayed since.

Billy

So I have 3 safety razors otw...

A 1955 Tech, a 1962 travel Tech, and an army-issue khaki Gillette - auction said WWI/II, but I don't think it's quite that old.

We'll see how I do with these. If it shows promise, then I might go for a Fatboy or some other adjustable, and if I keep it up, maybe eventually drop some cash on something pricier but cool and/or rare and/or unusual, like a Gillette Bulldog or Merkur Vision.
Doubt I'll ever get into using straights, but I may eventually just get one for the heck of it. For now, though, I'm just waiting for the 3 safety razors I've already ordered to show up so that I can polish them real nice and get started.

My 1911 Gillette ABC is a beautiful razor, it is out getting stripped and re-plated locally, so far this is my fancy display type razor, it shaves like a dream so I doubt it will be relegated to a display piece when I get it back.

razors_001.jpg

Huskysibe said:
Try different blades, when I started I purchased a variety pack from west coast shaving and found one that was the most comfortable for my face and havent strayed since.

Billy

I've tried two blade types. I have some others I'll try and I was looking at a sampler pack with 105 blades for $33 on amazon.

I've tried two blade types. I have some others I'll try and I was looking at a sampler pack with 105 blades for $33 on amazon.

I have a pack of red personna's I can send you if you like. So far everyone who has tried them love them. Pm me your address if you are interested.

I saw last night there are recommendations to only shave with the grain, one or two passes, for up to three weeks before going across or against the grain. Oops.

I did all three on my first 4-5 shaves. Maybe that's why my skin on my face was so pissed off at me. Yesterday and today I went easier and tried less for the BBS feel. Skin's looking and feeling better. I'll give it some more time to adjust.

justin, i have never been able to go against the grain much on my face, especially the neck. i just have to accept that and now shave for comfort, rather than for the closest shave possible. i can get it baby butt on my cheeks, but there are just a few spots that are too stubborn to get that close. but it's fine.

My 1911 Gillette ABC is a beautiful razor, it is out getting stripped and re-plated locally, so far this is my fancy display type razor, it shaves like a dream so I doubt it will be relegated to a display piece when I get it back.

razors_001.jpg

LOVE the ABC, that head style is my favorite of the non-adjustable gillettes, i feel you can get a super close shave with those old type heads. can't wait to see it when it gets back from the replating job.

android said:
justin, i have never been able to go against the grain much on my face, especially the neck. i just have to accept that and now shave for comfort, rather than for the closest shave possible. i can get it baby butt on my cheeks, but there are just a few spots that are too stubborn to get that close. but it's fine.

It's my jawline straight down from the outside of my eyes and my chin, just outside of the line if you go straight down from the corners of the mouth.

No issues on my neck or anywhere else other that those two spots.

Yesterday I went with two passes with the grain. Not the closest shave, but sufficient for a half day at work. That left more to shave today and I lightly worked with, across, and against the grain. Just two or three small nicks, and very little irritation. Face feels good. When I get to work, I'll find out if there's any redness.

I have a couple gold razors, I know what you mean about that, I have a Gilette NEW, it is gold plated and has a bent comb on the corner a little tweaking on it and.... snap, it almost broke through, so now it sits waiting for me to do something with it, I should just buy another one that isnt gold, but I may try a repair, I have experience in jewelry making, I should be able to braze it back in the proper location, do a little finish work to make the repair seamless and get it stripped and nickle plated.

I've been on a bit of a binge with shaving.

I've goat a black tip superspeed, a red flare tip superspeed and a silver flare tip superspeed. More recently, a Canadian ball end tech showed up. The handle was hollow, and split down the side, so it's more of a six piece, since both the shoulder and ball end come off of the hollow section of the handle. I'll have to figure out a way to fix it, or just make a new handle.

The black tip is my favorite, and it's usually paired with a Gillette green/yellow, Bic Chrome Platinum, or Derby.

I don't like Shark or Feather blades for some reason.

If you're looking for a new soap to try, check out the palmolive shave stick.

I'd like to try wet shaving, i dont really want to drop too much cash right away though. Anyone have opinions on something like the Merkur Model 180 or anything similar price wise?

Any input is appreciated.

FastAndy said:
I'd like to try wet shaving, i dont really want to drop too much cash right away though. Anyone have opinions on something like the Merkur Model 180 or anything similar price wise?

Any input is appreciated.

One of the great things about wet shaving is it's frugality. My razor (a 1962 Gillette) cost me around $10-$12 on eBay, if I remember right, and $17 for 100 razor blades.

I've been on a bit of a binge with shaving.

I've goat a black tip superspeed, a red flare tip superspeed and a silver flare tip superspeed. More recently, a Canadian ball end tech showed up. The handle was hollow, and split down the side, so it's more of a six piece, since both the shoulder and ball end come off of the hollow section of the handle. I'll have to figure out a way to fix it, or just make a new handle.

The black tip is my favorite, and it's usually paired with a Gillette green/yellow, Bic Chrome Platinum, or Derby.

I don't like Shark or Feather blades for some reason.

If you're looking for a new soap to try, check out the palmolive shave stick.

I would try soldering it in place, wrap a ring of solder around the shoulder and put it in the tube so the solder is sandwiched between tube and shoulder, heat with a pen torch lightly til the solder sucks into the joint like sweating pipes, you should have a moment to push it down in place before it cools. repeat on the ball end, but wrap the shoulder with a wet towel to keep excess heat from melting the solder down there. carefully done you wont have metal coloration from excess heat.

I'm having fun picking up $8 razors to give out as Christmas gifts complete blade samplers and cheaper boar brushes! :) I think I"m going to go to Bath and Body Works and get a lot of CO Bigelow Creams with their buy three get one and spread the joy. :)

Found a very nice user grade Slim for $15- that one will be used once then gifted to my scrawny ass little brother. I figured it was fitting.

I'm having fun picking up $8 razors to give out as Christmas gifts complete blade samplers and cheaper boar brushes! :) I think I"m going to go to Bath and Body Works and get a lot of CO Bigelow Creams with their buy three get one and spread the joy. :)

Found a very nice user grade Slim for $15- that one will be used once then gifted to my scrawny ass little brother. I figured it was fitting.

Darn good idea there! get a few ebay cheapies, clean and polish them a bit.

According to the auction:

We now believe that what we have listed is as close to accurate as possible.

We do believe that this was a prototype but not made available for sale to the public. Our information leads us to believe that this razor was a give-away to employees and salesmen after they stopped production to go to the upper dial instead. The patent drawing 1-5 dials were kept by the engineering department and designers. Either way, it is indeed extremely limited in its production. We don't guarantee our information to be positively accurate but its the best we could come up with after our research and the informative emails sent to us.

Wow... I'm thinking of all the things I could do with 2G's. Buying a DE razor isn't very high on the list.

Wow... I'm thinking of all the things I could do with 2G's. Buying a DE razor isn't very high on the list.

If I had the scratch...

I have a brother-in-law who buys a new Lamborghini or Ferrari when his current one is due for an oil change. I guess it is all about the play money factor. At least someone has the jing to preserve a rare piece of history. Someday I hope to drop the money on stuff like that. God willing it will be used and not shelved.

I am the guy who drives the old car instead of parking it, same goes for anything else, use it and enjoy it. Like hooking up with a super model and just looking at her, rock that new toy!!! :ban::ban:

jeebus, that is crazy! i just dont get it, but then again, i don't have 2 large to drop on a fricking razor... supposedly those are the super diggity dank rarest razor ever, but i can damn near guarantee you it doesn't shave any better than the other adjustables! i can't remember what a different one went for a couple months ago, but it wasn't quite that much.

i shaved my goatee off tonight and shaved my chin for the first time with a DE (kept a pron 'stache for a few days), it wasn't all fun and games like the cheeks are... guess i gotta relearn how this part of the face works.

Jump on me if you like and I am sure some will, but I am amazed a discussion on shaving has gone on so long and still continues. Don't get me wrong, enjoy if you will, but I think of shaving as a task like brushing my teeth. :(

Jump on me if you like and I am sure some will, but I am amazed a discussion on shaving has gone on so long and still continues. Don't get me wrong, enjoy if you will, but I think of shaving as a task like brushing my teeth. :(

hey, no worries. i think most of the people who participate in this thread also used to think of shaving that way. it's kinda like brewing in that a fresh perspective on something you used to take for granted can awaken all sorts of craziness.

Pretty much. I hated to shave... would use my trimmer on the lowest setting and be legal for work and then only shave if I had to look presentable.

Now I have to shave every morning or else the stublle drives me crazy.

Having the lady friend (wife in my case) be incapable of keeping her hands off you is a benefit.

I tried a Gillette 7 O'clock in my tech and it shaved nicely.

I only did two passes with the grain on Sunday and took the day off yesterday. That practically left me with a beard this morning for an easy shave.

Actually wet shaving is more like a day at the spa for men for me. The scents, the feel of the brush, its relaxing and not chore like for me any more. Now shaving with a cartridge razor and canned goo, that was a chore that resulted in razor burn and in grown hairs, not fun.

Bummer...I was pumped about a 1958 Fat Boy razor from eBay that turned out to be atrocious. It was described as "really nice," "dial and handle work very well and is a clean piece," "You will certainly find it usable with no pitting or corrosion," etc.

The razor is filthy, disgusting, and absolutely nasty. It's caked with someone/something's brown nastiness in the razor head. The pictures on the ad are completely misleading and deceptive and don't portray the true condition or filth.

I sent a pretty scathing email conveying my displeasure with it asking what he wants to do to make it right. If that doesn't go well, hopefully the first time I need to give the eBay Buyer Protection a try works out for me.

Soak it in scrubbing bubbles and go at it with a tooth brush and try and remove that crap, it will sanitize it as well. Hope it cleans up for you.

yes, you will be amazed what you can do with it. and if all else fails, just have one of those vendors replate/rebuild it for you and it'll be good as new.

Soak it in scrubbing bubbles and go at it with a tooth brush and try and remove that crap, it will sanitize it as well. Hope it cleans up for you.

yes, you will be amazed what you can do with it. and if all else fails, just have one of those vendors replate/rebuild it for you and it'll be good as new.

The seller is going to refund everything plus the cost to return it. For what I paid for it, it wasn't crazy, but it was priced comparable to some very nice ones. I'm seeing some that look flawless go for $75-$100. I didn't pay anywhere near that, but the razors that have pictures that look comparable to this one are going for well under $20, even for the Fat Boy models.

jtkratzer said:
The seller is going to refund everything plus the cost to return it. For what I paid for it, it wasn't crazy, but it was priced comparable to some very nice ones. I'm seeing some that look flawless go for $75-$100. I didn't pay anywhere near that, but the razors that have pictures that look comparable to this one are going for well under $20, even for the Fat Boy models.

The ones I bought have no rust, but aren't immaculate either. Seems to me that it's just way cheaper to buy the less-than-mint ones and clean/polish them myself. I'm pretty sure that most of the time, the people selling the "nice" ones just did this themselves.

None of the razors I've picked up have been flawless, but they at least have been cleaned and aren't caked with a weighable amount of someone's nastiness and DNA. The brown crud caked in the head and handle are gross. The TTO function was binding on something as well.

I have soaked and scrubbed each razor, but I didn't have any biohazard disposal bags for whatever was going to be left behind from this one.

When I decide which one or whatever number are my favorite, I'd like to get it/them refinished.

Oh yeah, I wasn't implying you were overreacting, in case it seems like that. It sounds like I wouldn't have wanted that either.

The Gillette ABC I have almost looked like a closed bar black plated razor. I discovered that the open comb was caked with ook completely and that the silver finish was so badly tarnished that after cleaning and polishing there was almost no silver left. That was the reason I sent it out to get replated in the first place.

Back