Temp. allowance of fermenting buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffaloipa

Reaction score
I've started all grain brewing and have a question. I've been collecting my wort directly into my boil kettle, all the while measuring in 1/2 gallon increments with a 2 quart measuring cup. My 32 quart kettle doesn't have marking for volume. I'd like to just collect my wort in a fermenting bucket but am worried about the temp. allowance of the buckets and am wondering if anyone's tried it. The measuring cup method is annoying as I always lose count of 1/2 gallong. :)

Is your kettle straight-sided? If so, you can do the math and just measure the depth of wort in the kettle to calculate its volume. Sanitize a metal ruler and dunk it right in the kettle, all the way to the bottom.

I've started all grain brewing and have a question. I've been collecting my wort directly into my boil kettle, all the while measuring in 1/2 gallon increments with a 2 quart measuring cup. My 32 quart kettle doesn't have marking for volume. I'd like to just collect my wort in a fermenting bucket but am worried about the temp. allowance of the buckets and am wondering if anyone's tried it. The measuring cup method is annoying as I always lose count of 1/2 gallong. :)

I collect my runnings in a HD Homer bucket, orange of course. Let the haters hate. I've marked on the outside 1 gal, 1.5 gal, 2 gal, etc...up to 5 gallon.

smyrnaquince said:
Is your kettle straight-sided? If so, you can do the math and just measure the depth of wort in the kettle to calculate its volume. Sanitize a metal ruler and dunk it right in the kettle, all the way to the bottom.

You really don't need to sanitize it. You will be boiling it anyway.

My ghetto rig currently I have been collecting first runnings in a 3 gallon kettle. After I heat up sparge water I collect everything in my larger kettle. I have used the HD bucket too. There is a lot of paranoia about those buckets but I have fermented in them and the beer turns out great. That's a personal decision tho.

I use a racking cane as a dip stick to measure my wort collected. marked on the side with a sharpie. Gets me really close, maybe not perfect but works for me.

+1 on measuring the inner diameter (if it's pretty straight-sided) and using a ruler to measure. Simple math gives the volume per vertical rise.

I bought a 36" SS rule on ebay for like $10.

Back