Crystal why use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I know it can add sweatness but would I miss it in an American pale ale if I subbed with honey malt? Would there be body and head retention issues? I'm doing a mini-mash if that's matters.

Sweetness, complexity, and color depending on the L factor.

I've never used honey malt, so I don't really know how it would compare. What a great help I am...lol

Honey malt is a sweet malt that can impart a honey type sweetness and mouthfeel to the beer.But does nothing for head retention . I really think a Pale ale needs/has to have crystal malt just to balance it out.The crystal also will impart a little caramel flavor. wikkimalts

Honey malt is a sweet malt that can impart a honey type sweetness and mouthfeel to the beer.But does nothing for head retention . I really think a Pale ale needs/has to have crystal malt just to balance it out.The crystal also will impart a little caramel flavor. wikkimalts

Why does an apa need crystal? Couldn't you balance the hops with the sweetness of honey malt and maybe some Munich and victory?

I like the caramel tones in the crystal. Yes you can brew it without crystal and it will turn out nicely but it will not have the same flavor as a crystal malt APA . Basically its my opinion that there should be some crystal malt in an APA .With Munich and Victory you wont get the caramel flavor as with the roasted crystal

Like I said its my opinion anyways

Latest posts

Back