What grains can I SMaSH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masonsjax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a rule about which grains can and can't be used in a SMaSH? I assume some do not have the enzymes necessary to convert, but what determines that? Could I use Crystal 20L for instance? Victory? Carapils? I'm just curious.

Victory yes, crystal or carapils, no....

A smash is one diastatic or BASE malt and one hops....so it's 2 row, 6 row, Marris Otter, Victory (though I don't think many have used it for a smash.) Vienna malt, Munich and Pilsner. That's all off the top of my head that I can think off....

You only want to SMaSH with Base malts. Two Row, Vienna, Munich, Pilsner, Maris Otter etc. Not sure if Six Row is good to SMaSH with or not, probably pretty bland if you did. Most folks seems to stick to MO,Vienna & Munich because of the great Malt Character they bring. Anything Crystal or Cara aren't SMaSHable because they don't have enough diastatic power to convert their own Starches. SMaSH's are fun, and a great way to learn an individual ingredients character. :mug:

Rauchmalt.... ;)

Really??????

It has diastatic power???????? I am speechless in contemplating the baconny goodness that would come from a rauchmalt smash...but what hops would one use?

Really???????? You can mash racumalt? I guess you could.....I've never read anythign about what the actually grain in it is...

Have you?

Really??????

It has diastatic power???????? I am speechless in contemplating the baconny goodness that would come from a rauchmalt smash...but what hops would one use?

Really???????? You can mash racumalt? I guess you could.....I've never read anythign about what the actually grain in it is...

Have you?

I think I read about this in a Zymurgy? Don't have it anymore, but I'm pretty sure Charlie Papazian used all Rauchmalt for a beer. (For some reason there was no extract version :D )

What about adding Alpha Amalyase in the mash? Then it would really open it up... think Special B.

I think I read about this in a Zymurgy? Don't have it anymore, but I'm pretty sure Charlie Papazian used all Rauchmalt for a beer. (For some reason there was no extract version :D )

What about adding Alpha Amalyase in the mash? Then it would really open it up... think Special B.

Yhat sorta defeats the purpose of the smashes in their pure form, but if you wanna start a sub Smash "category" then I am all for it.:rockin:

anyone try a smash with smoked malt?

Rauchmalt IS smoked malt.

Did not know that, this brewing thing has a long learning curve.

Brewing terminology is an odd polyglot of olde english and germanic words...Since they were the two cultures that seemed to contribute most to brewing. Surprisingly though despite it's contribution to brewing culture, I can't think of any Belgianbrewing definitions or terms in my drukken state.

Rausch is German. Wort is olde english...

my bad, for some reason i was thinking rauchmalt=rye. my mistake

Could you do a SMaSH with Rye though? I didn't even thing about that. Might need a bunch of Rice Hulls, but I don't know if it has the DP.

But anything you add to the grain, any adjunct defeatrs the purpose of what we consider a SMASH...

Again gang. a SMaSh is A sinngle Malt and a Single Hop.

If you add anythign to that cmbination it is a beer. but NOT a SMASH.....

The smash it a simple beer, and it is a tool to get a handle on how a malt works and a hop works, and how they work in conjunction with each other...if you add more stuff to the mix, you dillute the educational quotent of it, and the purity.

But anything you add to the grain, any adjunct defeatrs the purpose of what we consider a SMASH...

The smash it a simple beer, and it is a tool to get a handle on how a malt works and a hop works, and how they work in conjunction with each other...if you add more stuff to the mix, you dillute the educational quotent of it, and the purity.

Yahbut, Rice Hulls aren't an adjunct per sey. They are just there to aid in the lautering, they don't add anything to the Wort.

For me if it is the taste of a Single Malt and a Single Hop then it's a smash.

No rules, it is a aid to learning rather than making a great beer.

You may be surprised how pleasant and drinkable some of the results are.
I think it's beneficial for brewers to do a series of them one after the other.
I used lots of the same combinations using different quantities and techniques.

That's why I did it.

Really??????

Have you?

I haven't *yet*, but there are lots of rauchbier recipes that use rauchmalt for substantially all of the grist (and some are 100%). It'll convert.

Brewing terminology is an odd polyglot of olde english and germanic words...Since they were the two cultures that seemed to contribute most to brewing. Surprisingly though despite it's contribution to brewing culture, I can't think of any Belgianbrewing definitions or terms in my drukken state.

Rausch is German. Wort is olde english...

Rauch is smoke.

Rausch is intoxication :rockin:

Belgian is kind of a mix of english and german so, I guess it could be difficult for non Belgians to identify brewing vocabulary with a belgian origin.

It would be interesting to see (if there isn't already) a thread that is a sort of SMaSH starting point. Starting with a list of all of the (mutually agreed upon) acceptable malt that could possibly be used. Then a list of all the hops that are out there. Sort of a starting point, and then people could post the combinations they are trying.

It could be a sticky that the mods maintain and could add and subtract ingredients as the consensus allows.

Also, I know this was touched on, but I never saw a clear agreement. Can extracts be used for this? Are there certain extracts that are single malt, and if so which are they? If one does use extract should there be an * or maybe call it a SMEaSH instead?

Just a couple of thoughts that kept me awake at 6am this morning. :fro:

This interests me... How much do you think you'd have to add to the mash?

According to this thread- Partial Oatmeal Mash with Just Alpha Amylase..,

You can get 1/4 lb. for $8-10 and that's the equivalent of 250 lbs of 2-row.

So .2 oz would equal 12.5 lbs of two row, enough to convert most grains.

Agreed. I like the idea of a subcategory here.

It would be interesting to see (if there isn't already) a thread that is a sort of SMaSH starting point. Starting with a list of all of the (mutually agreed upon) acceptable malt that could possibly be used. Then a list of all the hops that are out there. Sort of a starting point, and then people could post the combinations they are trying.

It could be a sticky that the mods maintain and could add and subtract ingredients as the consensus allows.

Also, I know this was touched on, but I never saw a clear agreement. Can extracts be used for this? Are there certain extracts that are single malt, and if so which are they? If one does use extract should there be an * or maybe call it a SMEaSH instead?

Maybe we can have several categories-
  • SMaSH - Normal
  • SMEaSH - Extract
  • SMaAAaSH - For grains with no diastatic power, and need Alpha Amalyse

The last one would be fun to say, but hard to distinguish from normal.

You mean a general purposed thread about smashes like this???

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/what-heck-smash-97804/index3.html#post1065943

Where there happens to contain a post by me on doing Extract smashes? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/what-heck-smash-97804/index2.html#post1065943

Complete with a couple links to some nearly if not all 100% single grain extracts?

No, we don't have anything like your suggesting....we've never discussed smashes until this thread.;)

Nor are there any in the similar threads boxes below this and other samsh threads. :mug:

No, we don't have anything like your suggesting....we've never discussed smashes until this thread.;)

Heh, I know this has been discussed before. A search brought up many many threads. and that was kind of my point.

I was thinking more of one thread that says:
1.) What is SMaSH?
A: SMaSH stands for....etc.

2.)What Malts can I use?
A. Malts that you can use are 2-row, etc etc.
You can not use Crystal, etc.etc.

3.) A list of as many hops as can be imagined.

I know all this information is out there. I was just thinking of a STARTING point. Sort of a "You want to try a SMaSH? Start Here."

Like I said, I was lying awake early this morning and SWMBO would let me wake her up, so I logged on.

Has anyone done an all wheat or all rye mash. How about an oat smash?

I attempted an Oat SMaSH, some time ago. I was inspired by accounts in a couple of 19th century brewing manuals of ales brewed from 100% malted oats in Yorkshire and Edinburgh in the old days.
Unfortunately that brew session was fraught with problems. I didn't get very good conversion, which I attribute probably to the crush, a bit too coarse. Also and more importantly, I tried to ferment it with a packet that happened to be from that infamous recalled batch of Nottingham yeast, which took too long to kick off and resulted in a visible infection in the primary. I've a mind to try again when time and funds allow.

Nobody's mentioned Golden Promise. I love the stuff, and regularly use it for 100% of the mash. Most of my favorite brews actually are 100% or nearly Golden Promise, maybe with some sugar or Golden Naked Oats. I think one of my upcoming brews will be a Golden Promise SMaSH with Brambling Cross, because, well, Brewmasters Warehouse sells Brambling Cross.

Also, Thomas Fawcett Malting produces a few other old-fashioned British malts that could be used for a SMaSH, each made from single varietal barleys that have their own characteristics. Halcyon I found to be fairly neutral. Pearl was pretty bland IMO, but Optic was quite good, with a lovely aroma. My first move when I made the jump to all-grain was several small-batch SMaSHes with various British malts and Fuggles. I didn't know that they were called SMaSH at the time, just seemed like a good way to introduce myself to various malts.
I'm tired of typing 'SMaSH'.

I was thinking more of one thread that says:
1.) What is SMaSH?
A: SMaSH stands for....etc.

2.)What Malts can I use?
A. Malts that you can use are 2-row, etc etc.
You can not use Crystal, etc.etc.

3.) A list of as many hops as can be imagined.

I know all this information is out there. I was just thinking of a STARTING point. Sort of a "You want to try a SMaSH? Start Here."

I think it's a good idea. There should be a sticky thread about SMaSHes. A table of grains categorized by which can convert themselves, which can't, and which might need some help. Also, descriptions of the flavor profile of each grain, for ones that people have tried, especially the unsucessful attempts. Some grains may be bland, but might be a good way to get a clean taste for a certain hop variety. A wiki page perhaps, where people could continuously update with results.

Back