Mountain Lion in Missouri

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarson83

Reaction score
Out of pure luck I was able snap this picture from about 250 yards last weekend. I got the picture of the print 3 or 4 weeks earlier so he has been hanging around for awhile. I was so far away I didn't know what I had seen until I got home and zoomed in on the computer.

Mt_Lion.JPG

Full Size Image

Mt-Lion-Zoom.jpg

Mt_Lion_Print.JPG

Full Size

I sent a copy to the conservation agent and they're pretty excited. Though I don't share their enthusiasm of having big cats around it is pretty cool.

We get one in town every couple of years or so, then people's pets start disappearing. I've heard of them attacking children too, but never heard of that happening around here. It's pretty cool that you were able to get a pic of it. Regards, GF.

I saw one on the mountain behind my house. I saw it again crossing the road just down the way. Saw the tracks and everything. Didn't have a camera and it wouldn't have mattered because the thing was soooo fast.

I've canoed, fished and even swam in water not only known to have alligators, but have actually seen them in it myself. Not while swimming though. There is a line between brave and stupid.

I have surf fished and even swam in shark waters though. Little black fins, mostly.

I didn't mind sharing the environment with deadly animals. It was kinda fun. Keeps ya on your toes.

A lot of woods around here have hogs and some coyotes. A few cats. Awesome!

We've got some land outside town about 20 minutes west. It's a great wildlife preserve type place. It's been in the family for about 150 years so nothing has been developed and we keep it as just a place to hunt, fish, firewood, etc.

I was driving around after dumping some brush trying to get some pictures of turkey or deer and I saw this thing run out from behind a tree. I thought at first it was just a coyote, took a quick pic and it was gone within 10 seconds. It didn't run like a coyote but I didn't think much of it until I enlarged it on the computer.

The guys that have cows in the area aren't very happy about it. The guy that runs cows on our place has 100 calves on the way this spring so its not good news for him.

I've canoed, fished and even swam in water not only known to have alligators, but have actually seen them in it myself. Not while swimming though. There is a line between brave and stupid.

I have surf fished and even swam in shark waters though. Little black fins, mostly.

I didn't mind sharing the environment with deadly animals. It was kinda fun. Keeps ya on your toes.

So are you in Florida also?
I've seen a couple many years back, but I have a Panther license tag, so I want them to continue to be around.
Here in south Fl we have rattlesnakes, panthers, alligators, sharks, scorpions, coral snakes and more stuff that can ruin your day;), but the weather is nice

I've had one that has been hanging around two block from my house. Doesn't really seem to hurt anybody - just scare them. Although I do have friends that have been told to keep their dog (bull mastiff) inside because one neighbor had their fully grown St. Bernard taken in the back yard and dragged over a 6ft high fence by a mountain lion.

:mug:Never seen one until they made it against the law to run them with dogs. I live next to the grade school and they did bring in the government hunter, they have killed 2 since they made the law. Then they drag down the carcass so the school kids can see what they look like. Need to start chasing them with the dogs again to keep them scared.:mug:

I've seen a couple many years back, but I have a Panther license tag, so I want them to continue to be around.
Here in south Fl we have rattlesnakes, panthers, alligators, sharks, scorpions, coral snakes and more stuff that can ruin your day;), but the weather is nice
Yes we do and I think it's great! Used to have alligators in my back yard, now I have sharks across the street :p Unfortunately there are not many panthers left, especially in my part of the state

The cattle farmers around here arange themselves with the panthers and alligators tho

They didn't try to take your couch did they?

Out of pure luck I was able snap this picture from about 250 yards last weekend. I got the picture of the print 3 or 4 weeks earlier so he has been hanging around for awhile. I was so far away I didn't know what I had seen until I got home and zoomed in on the computer.

Mt_Lion.JPG

Full Size Image

Mt-Lion-Zoom.jpg

Mt_Lion_Print.JPG

Full Size

I sent a copy to the conservation agent and they're pretty excited. Though I don't share their enthusiasm of having big cats around it is pretty cool.

you took that with your phone? wish my tilt took that kinda picture ;-)

If we were used to this type of stuff, (Rattlesnakes and Copperheads are very rare and don't hunt humans :D) it wouldn't be such a big deal for me here. But even the Game Commission denies that Mountain Lions exist in PA, even though the evidence is mounting. Sitings are becoming more common as the years go by.

Doesn't really seem to hurt anybody - just scare them.

Near my father's house (an adjacent county I think) it has happened twice where one just strolled down into someone's back yard and stole off with their kid. More recently there was the news of the one that was waiting on the mountain bike path and picking off the riders. Granted it is rare, but it does happen.

Near my father's house (an adjacent county I think) it has happened twice where one just strolled down into someone's back yard and stole off with their kid. More recently there was the news of the one that was waiting on the mountain bike path and picking off the riders. Granted it is rare, but it does happen.

Quite rare. Mountain Lion Attacks from 2001 to Now
The above link documents the mountain lion attacks in the US and Canada in the last 10 years.
3 total deaths in that time frame and what appears to be 3-4 attacks a year causing injury. I would like to see how many cougars were killed in that same time period.

Not that you shouldn't take precautions but there are alot more dangerous things than a big cat.

I think its great that the population is healthy enough that they are moving back into some traditional habitats and being more visible. Ofcourse I live in a area which basically has no dangerous wildlife.

Craig

Back