Storage of commercial beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoXJ13

Reaction score
So lets say I happen to have a fair number of bombers and such that I want to store but are taking up too much space in the fridge. I bought them cold at the liquor store and have had them in my fridge since. Can I store them in my basement (65*F most of the time) or do they have to stay cold once they have been chilled?

I am not positive about this.... but it think people think that because most people believe that if a beer is cold then warmed then chilled again it will skunk it. I dont find this to be true at all and I have had plenty of beer that I have bought cold and stored warm and they were fine.

To me I dont see much of a difference between that and cold crashing then bottle conditioning. just my 2 cents though

There is quite a bit of conflicting information on the internet, but much says that as long as it stays below 70 degrees it will store fine. I think your basement would be fine as long as there are not big temperature swings. If you have space in the basement, why not pick up another refrigerator off craigslist just for beer storage.

There is quite a bit of conflicting information on the internet, but much says that as long as it stays below 70 degrees it will store fine. I think your basement would be fine as long as there are not big temperature swings. If you have space in the basement, why not pick up another refrigerator off craigslist just for beer storage.

Yeah, working on that...but my basement is crowded now, losing a roommate/tenant in late spring, so I should have more space to turn that room into an office so I can clear space in my storage room for beer. Trying to figure out how to get one unit for carbing/conditioning kegs and bottles and one for fermenting....hard to reconcile without getting two more freezers/fridges...

You are fine. As long as you arent storing it at 80 degrees. I think the myth is more from BMC beer drinkers.

You are fine. As long as you arent storing it at 80 degrees. I think the myth is more from BMC beer drinkers.

Ahh, like the myth that draft BMC gives a headache but bottled doesn't? ;):p

I've never seen any valid information to back that myth up either. I'm more inclined to say the headache comes from counting beers rather than ounces (pint glass vs longneck)
Always open for a new wrinkle on my brain though.

Ahh, like the myth that draft BMC gives a headache but bottled doesn't? ;):p

I've never seen any valid information to back that myth up either. I'm more inclined to say the headache comes from counting beers rather than ounces (pint glass vs longneck)
Always open for a new wrinkle on my brain though.

I've heard that from so many people... they say that it has more co2 so therefor it adds presure in their heads and thats why it hurts :drunk:

My kegerator came with a little fact book and one of the questions asked was the 'draft gives you a head-ache' line. It explained that years ago bars used a regular air-compressor to force the beer out of the taps and the oil in the air-compressor caused the head aches. Now everyone use CO2 so no problems. Never bothered to investigate it...just chalked it up to useless knowledge.....

Latest posts

Back