Re: Good bars in NYC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BangorBrewer

Reaction score
hey guys,

i am going to be in midtown manhattan during the latter half of this week, which just happens to be my birthday. i was wondering if anyone knew of any good bars within the vicinity of the roosevelt hotel that would be worth spending some time at?

preferably, i am looking for somewhere with a pretty extensive beer selection that is reasonably affordable (in nyc terms).

thanks,

mike

You'll probably be near the Ginger Man, but I'd just take the subway downtown if I were you. Then you can hit Hop Devil, Blind Tiger, d.b.a., and so on...

i don't know where the roosevelt is, but look up the heartland brewery (they have a few locations) - pretty good crafty beers although the food is overpriced mediocrity.

if you want imported beer and don't mind the hike - henry st ale house in brooklyn is great and near to grimaldis (?) for pizza beforehand. there must be spots for this kind of thing in midtown or manhattan too - i just don't know them

if the weather was better, i'd definitely have to nominate the Bohemian Hall and Beer Garden in Queens - a must in warmer weather and the hall is open year round i think.

mcorleys is great at east 7th st and 2nd ave - oldest pub in new york and a very atmospheric spot.

cd2448 said:
mcorleys is great at east 7th st and 2nd ave - oldest pub in new york and a very atmospheric spot.

I'll second McSorley's, that place rocks. If ever there was a bar for people who drink beer, that place is it. Every time I make it to the city, I make at least one trip there. Sad to say, it's been about 8 years since I've been there.

Connley's right next to MOMA. It is still there, however not in the original place. The original was a great bar, the new one sucks comparitivley. They do have a few others in the mid town area, one is a block off of Times Square, this is a more trendy version though. Altogether I think there are 3 Connley's.

McSorley's is great for that once every 5-10 year trip. But the OP'er specifically mentioned extensive beer selection and honestly McSorley's is quite the opposite. Like I said, if you want to stick to midtown, go to The Ginger Man...

Burp Castle on 8th st., I think. Belgian beers on tap, waiters dressed as monks, a great place. dba is another great one in the area.
Happy Birthday!

around midtown either the Gingerman or Stout are good calls. Although Gingerman gets some massive crowds around happy hour.

further south but well worth the trip is Burp Castle, Blind Tiger (can't recommend this one enough!)

I went a few years ago... I know it is not a bar etc, BUT Stage Deli was very good. Big ass open face ruben sammich and a brooklyn lager. MMMMMMMM kraut, onions and corned beef with a lager. Great going down but the after effects were dangerous.

cd2448 said:
if the weather was better, i'd definitely have to nominate the Bohemian Hall and Beer Garden in Queens - a must in warmer weather and the hall is open year round i think.

+1 Bohemian Hall

The Ginger Man is very crowded all the time, same goes for Heartland. Peculator pub on Bleeker Street has many beers to try. What I would suggest is getting into Brooklyn Williamsburg north side (of the bridge). Plenty of good bars and the Brooklyn Brewery is also there. they have a tasting room and do tours.

Bottom line is walk out of the door and you will find something.

Back