dos equis recipe???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean102385

Reaction score
Do any of you guys happen to have an extract recipe for dos equis? Also I dont have the tools available to me to be able to actually lager it, or to make larger than a 5 gallon batch, so would it be alright for me to use an ale yeast instead of lager yeast?

Also if no one actually has a recipe for it, could you all possible come up with one for me? It is a bday present for my boss...he drinks dos equis all the time.

Thanks in advance guys

You won't really achieve Dos Equis without lagering and I can't think of a single ale made in Latin America (they're lagering rascals down there...German influence). You might be able to rig up some cooling for your fermenters, especially this time of year and then lager it in the bottles (if you have enough time before b-day). Get your hands on the issue before last of BYO magazine where they have an entire feature on Mexican Vienna-style lagers.

I just bought an Amber Cervesa Style (XX) Brewer's best kit, maybe this recipe will help:

3.3 lbs Plain Amber LME (they're using cooper's)
2 lbs Plain light DME
8 oz Rice syrup solids
6 oz Crushed crystal malt 60L
1 oz Hallertau Hops (bittering)
1/2 oz Saaz Hops (finishing
5 oz priming sugar
Ale yeast (Nottingham)

There's a Dos Equis clone recipe in the book Clone Brews by Tess and Mark Szamatulski.

The book is definitely worth buying.

BeeGee said:
You won't really achieve Dos Equis without lagering and I can't think of a single ale made in Latin America (they're lagering rascals down there...German influence).

Interesting comment. In the fall I made an Oktoberfest but with ale yeast (I don't have the facilities to lager beer. Plus, I wanted it for October:)). When it was finished, my wife and I tasted it against some Paulaner Oktoberfest. It tasted almost identical (but better, actually-- fresher, as I recall, for one thing).

I don't know about XX light, but I wonder if an XX dark couldn't be made as an ale with good results?

try this one. it's from my local HBS, Defalco's in Houston, TX:

MEXICAN CERVEZA CLARA (Light)
Purchase Kit: Liquid or Dry yeast

Very pale & light-bodied. Great with Tex-Mex! Some prefer this with a squeeze of lime!
4 lbs. light malt exact
2 lbs. brewery grade corn syrup
1 lbs. domestic two-row malt
1/4 lb. Belgian caramel-pils malt
1/3 oz. Cluster hop pellets (bittering)
1/2 oz. Hallertauer hops (flavoring)
1/2 oz. Hallertauer hops (finishing)
Nottingham ale yeast (or Wyeast #1007/ #1056 or White Labs German or California Ale Yeast
(for cold fermentation #2007, #2035 or White Labs Pilsner or German Lager Yeast)
1 pkg. Bru-Vigor (yeast food)
7/8 cup corn sugar (for priming)
O.G. - 1.047 -- F.G - 1.011

Cheyco said:
Why would you need to add the yeast food to that one DB?

if you don't make starters, yeast nutrient will aid any brew..........

i suggest a healthy yeast starter over yeast nutrient anyday.....

here's the amber cerveza if that was the one you were looking for:

AMBER CERVEZA (XX)
Purchase Kit: Liquid or Dry yeast

Amber hued, with more body & flavor than the Clara. Think enchiladas!
2 lbs. light malt extract
3 lbs. amber malt extract
1 lbs. brewery grade corn syrup or rice syrup solids
1 1/2 lbs. domestic two-row malt
1/4 lb. Belgian caramel-pils malt
1/2 lb. Belgian Cara-Vienne malt
2/3 oz. Perle hop pellets (bittering)
1/2 oz. Hallertauer hops (flavoring)
1/2 oz. Hallertauer hops (finishing)
1 pkg. Bru-Vigor (yeast food)
1 pkg. Nottingham ale yeast (or Wyeast #1007 or #1056 or White Labs German or California Ale Yeast*
(*For cold fermentation #2007, #2206 or White Labs Pilsner or German Lager Yeast)
3/4 cup corn sugar (for priming)
O.G. - 1.049 -- F.G - 1.012

Back