1st Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaslam07

Reaction score
Hi, new to homebrewing, have started with 1 gallon of Apple and Blackberry Wine.

1350g Blackberries
1350g Apples
1350g Sugar

I have been fermenting nearly 2 weeks now and am nearly ready to stabalise, I am planning on Finding it in the dj it sits in and leaving it a week or 2 then re racking into another dj for more findings to get it crystal clear for another week or 2, then syphon into bottles.

I am open to any advice or help, am going to taste it now to see if its dry enough or needs more time.

On another note has anybody tried the JD honey and what are your thoughts of it, just bought a bottle, has only just come out here in UK.

is there any way of telling the alcohol percentage if i dont have the reading on the hydrometer before fermentation, i have tasted and put the hydrometer in now and it drops to the black ring which is medium dry and has about 35g of sugar per litre, would anybody like to comment on this as i am unsure what it all means as its my 1st time, but have now added stabiliser and will be adding findings tomorrow

final after ive stabalised and put my findings through ? how many days should i leave it before re racking into 2nd dj and find again or is it just when i think its clear, thanks

is there any way of telling the alcohol percentage if i dont have the reading on the hydrometer before fermentation,

once it clears and has been degassed you can use a vinometer, basically a glass capillary tube. They are about $5.

vinometer.jpg

amandabab said:
once it clears and has been degassed you can use a vinometer, basically a glass capillary tube. They are about $5.

That's not a bad way to go. Just know that they are going to give you an 'aproximate' reading. I've found (through experience) that I can 'taste' the alcohol percentage to within a percentage point or so. Don't sweat it too much... focus on taste! :)

Back