Weldless brew stand.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn I just built one out of wood. I would have done this if I knew it would have been this cheap.. Ah well. Next project on the list. I have to get off this site. I am spending way too much.

You will need two sets of the bolt/washer/nut kits.

You know I thought I remembered reading that somewhere and then decided I was imagining things, so I ordered one set :( Oh well, I want to hit up Home Depot for some of the cement board anyway. I'm planning on using the Coleman Extreme cooler and will be building out the end so that more than 50% of the bottom surface area of the cooler is supported, just in case. So I'll definitely need more bolts... I should learn to trust my gut.

Gremlyn1, let me know if you need any help or have any questions. I'm just finishing up a brutus clone made in this style. You will definitely need two hardware sets. The angle steel can be found at HD, as with most of the other parts, or check out Fastenal near downtown or Hayes bolt & supply in case you wanna save on shipping.

I'm hoping to have mine up for a test run this weekend. Just have to get the gas and pilot finished up.

Thanks, I maybe have some questions on plumbing the propane :)

Sorry, forgot to post a picture. Here you go...

burner_detail.jpg

Thanks Sam.

which sections used the 2-1/4 vs the 1-1/2? Wondering why two different sizes were used
2 each 8968K26 1-1/2" X 1-1/2", 6’ length $17.32
6 each 4664T65 2-1/4" X 1-1/2", 6’ length $66.54

The vertical beams are the 1.5"x1.5" and the horizontal beams are the 2.5"x1.5". I assume this was done to give more surface area to hold brew pots and the like.

...One keg filled to the top with water weighs in at about 150 or so lbs. I filled all 3 kegs to the top with cold water and stood on the frame while kind of bouncing up and down all while a friend rolled me around ....

Now that is funny stuff! It would make a viral video! :D

As was mentioned earlier, price really drops when you take the casters away which I am assuming could be found at Harbor Freight for MUCH less. These ones are huge! :) But they do support 450 lbs. and the price is right. I'm guessing the bolt pattern won't match though.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-cushion-tire-swivel-caster-with-brake-46819.html

2x 8968K26 Galvanized Low-Carbon Steel 90 Degree Angle Perforated, 1-1/2" X 1-1/2" Legs, 5/64" Thk, 6'L $8.66 each $17.32
6x 4664T65 Steel Perforated Flat and Angle Framing Angle, Hot-Dipped Galvanized, 2-1/4" X 1-1/2", 6'L $11.64 each $69.84
16x 4664T22 Steel Perforated Flat and Angle Framing Galvanized Steel Corner Plate, 6" X 6" X 6" $2.25 each $36.00
2x 4664T61 Steel Perforated Flat and Angle Framing Hardware: Zinc-Plated Steel Bolts W/Nuts & Washers, packs of 50 $6.45 pack $12.90

Total $136.06

Of course, this is not including S/H. How do you find out if there is a local warehouse (Will Call???)? No idea what a Will Call is.

John

Another thought...

If you put some kind platform on the bottom (wood or otherwise), could you put the propane tank down there? Would it fit?

I'm guessing that even if it does fit, the answer is it will be too close to the burners.

One other question now that I am thinking of it...

For anyone who has built this stand, do you wish that you would have used 8ft sections instead of the 6ft (provided you have the room)? I'm thinking of going 8ft just to get some more separation between the vessels. Additonal cost would be ~$24. Justified?

John

If you put some kind platform on the bottom (wood or otherwise), could you put the propane tank down there? Would it fit?

I'm guessing that even if it does fit, the answer is it will be too close to the burners.

I was planning to do the same thing just to store equipment. IMO it's way too hot for wood. The last thing I need with 15 gallons of boiling liquid is an unrequested fire surplus at the base of the stand.

I was contemplating using cement board as mentioned earlier in the thread. I bet you could build a holding shelf off one end for the propane tank pretty cheaply. Particularly if you used those 8' sections as the bottom rails and push the burners to one side so that you get 2' of space for your tank.

I was contemplating using cement board as mentioned earlier in the thread. I bet you could build a holding shelf off one end for the propane tank pretty cheaply. Particularly if you used those 8' sections as the bottom rails and push the burners to one side so that you get 2' of space for your tank.

Didn't see that, but it's a good idea. I was going to add an extension for storing propane. Given the heat this thing puts puts out I'm keeping the fuel source as far away as possible while running.

I got my steel and burners yesterday and got the steel cut to size today so am going to get this thing put together soon hopefully by this Saturday so I can use it at our clubs group brew.

I got my steel and burners yesterday and got the steel cut to size today so am going to get this thing put together soon hopefully by this Saturday so I can use it at our clubs group brew.

I wish I had that sort of time on my hands. I ordered my steel Dec/09. I'm doing my first brew on this thing on Sat. 3 weeks short of a year. I'll be lucky to use this thing 4 times a year.

I think this is great. I would skip the casters all together. I would carry it in and out of the house since it would be stored in the basement. How heavy is the frame with everything of of it that isn't bolted down?

Looks like a cool rig I might slowly start aquiring the bits and pieces for a spring unveil ;)

Do those of you that have run this rig feel that you get as much heat from the burners as you anticiapted you would. If you are disapointed in how fast you can heat things up try running a 100 lb bottle instead of the 20 lb. Especially in cooler weather the I think the 20 pounder will struggle to vaporize the fuel fast enough. If the bottle is icing up on the outside you are not getting full BTU from your burners. I have never ran one of these rigs but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once. Seriously though I am in the propane business and am in planning stages of building a rig for my son. I havn't taken the time to calculate the vaporization rate for a 20 pounder with 3 mega burners, but it must be close to max capacity.

Started building mine today finally! Only been a couple of months since I ordered the parts... :)

Started building mine today finally! Only been a couple of months since I ordered the parts... :)

Did my first batch yesterday. 3 weeks shy of a year since I ordered the parts. My in keggles will go to the welder later this week so I had to borrow keggles from a friend for this batch.

Gallery here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/members/bender/albums/first-all-grain/

After a year of grabbing the frame any time I wanted to move the rig I forgot it would be hot with the burners going (durrr).

Sizzle.jpg

This is very interesting and I think my limited skills could actually build something like this. Are there and plans out there for a 2 or 3 tiered stand built this way?

This is very interesting and I think my limited skills could actually build something like this. Are there and plans out there for a 2 or 3 tiered stand built this way?

I plan on building a 2 tier system so I dont have to buy another pump to sparge! :ban:

After a year of grabbing the frame any time I wanted to move the rig I forgot it would be hot with the burners going (durrr).

Have you thought about attatching a wooden handle? I'm thinking of making a similar 2 tier structure and until you posted this I had never thought about heat transfer. Sometimes it's the simple things that get ya.

Nice set up! I've been planning to build a weldless brewstand out of angle iron that I drilled bolt holes into. A couple months ago, my father showed up with a bunch of this same stuff that he found kicking around his office. No one knew why it was even there, so he grabbed it for me. Seeing your rig will definitely help with my build. My plan is to build this thing over the winter so I can go all-grain in the spring. I already have the 3 kegs & fittings as well as casters. I also told my wife I wanted 2 march pumps for christmas, so I will have most of what I need to get building.

This thread came at just the right time. I just got two of BobbyM's CFC's finished Tuesday, 100 lbs of malt delivered on Wednesday, and when I told SWMBO that I am going to buy a pump, burners, frame materials and 4 lbs of hops all she said was "It's gonna cost around $350.00? That's not too bad."

Got the slotted angle iron, weldless diptubes and silicone tubing from bargainfittings.com, 2 chugger pumps, and the burners and regulator from agrisupply delivered in the past 3 days. 7 sets of cam locks should be here tomorrow and 4 lbs of hops should be getting in next monday. Now if i could just cut out of work early to go start building this so I can do a New Years day brew.

Awesome! One thing that set me back was the fact that my burners didn't come with a "jet orifice". Set my build back by a week. Make sure you don't need one... it's hard to brew without fire!

Got the slotted angle iron, weldless diptubes and silicone tubing from bargainfittings.com, 2 chugger pumps, and the burners and regulator from agrisupply delivered in the past 3 days. 7 sets of cam locks should be here tomorrow and 4 lbs of hops should be getting in next monday. Now if i could just cut out of work early to go start building this so I can do a New Years day brew.

I am also doing the exact same rig... out of curiosity, how much was the shipping on the steel from McMaster??? I am going to be placing this order in a few days... THANKS!

The shipping for McMaster was pretty cheap for me. The warehouse is right in the middle of Atlanta and I live about 45-50 miles away. They sent it same day and it was 15.60 for shipping and totaled at 162.27 after taxes & shipping. By the way, this weighs nearly 50 lbs and comes in two packages - a 6' tube for the angle and a small box for the gussets and hardware.

Does anyone know the dimensions of either the "wallace" or this rig? I get that it's 6' long, but how wide and tall is it?

The shipping for McMaster was pretty cheap for me. The warehouse is right in the middle of Atlanta and I live about 45-50 miles away. They sent it same day and it was 15.60 for shipping and totaled at 162.27 after taxes & shipping. By the way, this weighs nearly 50 lbs and comes in two packages - a 6' tube for the angle and a small box for the gussets and hardware.

Wow, that's not bad. THANKS MAN!

:mug:

I just checked bargainfittings for the slotted angle iron and did not find it on the website. Did you get your angle iron from them or am I reading your post wrong?

No you didn't read it wrong, i just wrote it like an idiot. The slotted angle Iron came from McMasterCarr.com. These are the parts you will need:

2 each 8968K26 1-1/2" X 1-1/2", 6’ length

6 each 4664T65 2-1/4" X 1-1/2", 6’ length

16 each 4664T22 Steel Corner Plate, 6"x 6"

2 pack 4664T61 Bolts W/nuts & Washers

Back