Beer Prices In The U.S.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It varies widely.

In most of the places I go, between $4 and $8. Just looked up the exchange rate: right now, equivalent to £6 to £12. Plus tip of about another dollar per drink.

That's for anything from American craft beer on the less expensive side to something like Delirium Tremens.

If you want something like Bud Light... I'd guess you could find them for $1 or $2 on special.

Yes, I certainly did. Oops! :eek:

So... £2.70 to £5.30 or so.

Thank God for that. I thought in the UK we paid extortionate prices for our beer.
£2.70 is probably about the average price for a pint.
Last week I went into a bar in Solihull (a very affluent (sp)) part of the Uk and was tried to be charged £3.50 for a pint of Carling (youre equivalent to Bud). I walked 50 yards down the road and got exactly the same pint for £1.80.

In a nice bar 4-5 dollars a pint draft..6 for imported .. In a crappy bar here you can get bud or miller for 2-3 bucks a pint.. Back a few years ago there was domestic and imported pricing, but now they are charging imported prices for all popular beers like magic hat, SN etc..

$3.75-$4.5 in the Northwest. Bigger and better is surely more. We are definatley seeing bars, etc feeling more comfortable charging prices reflecting the cost of a particular beer. It used to be all (good) beers were the same price, now an IIPA will be more than a Red Hook ESB.

It can vary depending on where you live due to things like taxes and just generally higher prices all around.

In Philadelphia, you can get a local craft beer for $3 a pint at certain bars. Other craft beers cost between $4 and $8 a pint depending exactly on what you order, it also might not be a pint - it might be an 8 or 10oz goblet depending on the type beer particularly for higher alcohol beers. Cheap domestic beers can be $2-$3 a pint.

Guys was telling me about one local bar that has $1.50 Bud Light.

I think a glass of Bells Oberon cost me $3.50 at a place a few doors down.

I go to the bar so infrequently, that I frankly have no idea what the prices are. I just order whatever looks good. I usually don't hang out at bars that serve Bud. Once in a while I go downtown. Normally when I'm out drinking I'm looking for a brewpub, with craft beer.

As you know many of the elected jackasses are brainstorming ways to generate tax revenue because they can't manage a checkbook.
Washington is no different. Yesterday started a new tax on bottled water and candy (unless the candy has flour in it, then it is still tax exempt) and, you guessed it, beer. The only part they got right was exempting Craft Brew from the tax. Its only on Macro breweries.

Thank God for that. I thought in the UK we paid extortionate prices for our beer.
£2.70 is probably about the average price for a pint.
Last week I went into a bar in Solihull (a very affluent (sp)) part of the Uk and was tried to be charged £3.50 for a pint of Carling (youre equivalent to Bud). I walked 50 yards down the road and got exactly the same pint for £1.80.

Its that cheap for crap beer here too

Brewpub brews in Burlington, Vt tend to go for $3.75-$5 a pint. The rest usually goes for $3-$6, Bud-Guiness. Now if you start getting into the nice imports (Gouden Carolous, Chimay, Ommegang, and the like) it really starts to vary, as we can only get them, for the most part, in bottles at one particular pub/taproom. But hey, I can order a 750ml bottle of Chimay for about $10 at my preffered pub, and that's pretty damn cool.

This is my biggest gripe with the pub trade in the UK in general, the profit margin that some, and I repeat, some of the small local pubs make on selling beer/drinks.
It has all ways been 100% of the buying price. ie... the pub buys a pint of beer for £1.00 and sells it to the customer for £2.00. This covers tax, overheads and profit. Now the owners of pubs are selling at 150-200% of cost.
Now this really pisses me off, so I did a little research.
My favourite micro/commercial beer (Hobgoblin) is sold for £100.00 for a firkin (72 pints). This is delivered to the pubs door. That works out at about £1.38 per pint, yet, when I went into a pub recentley they charged me £3.75, This works out at 272% profit. What other commodity is sold at a 272% profit???

I explained the above to the bar owner/manager, who replied "It all goes to the government in taxes"
"B0llOcks" I said. "Out of the £3.75 yuo have just charged me, £0.65 goes to the Government in tax. It costs you £1.00 to buy, so that leaves £3.10.
So you have overheads to pay, OK Ill give you 100% on that. That leaves £1.55 clear profit on every pint of Hobgblin you sell. £1.75 x 72 = £144.00 profit per barrel x 5 barrels a week = £720.00 a week.

It is not the Government taht is killing the pub trade in the UK, it is greedy bar owners.

Craft beers/micro breweries = big profits, at the customers expence.
This is why I hate the pub trade in the UK.

P.S. My last batch of A/G H/B cost me £0.19. so they can all fcuk off

I got a big surprise at the bar the other day. A pint of Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye, Harpoon 100 Barrel series, and Ommegang White were $8, $7.50, and $7.50 respectively. Seems a bit expensive to me. The bars around me usually top out at $7/pint for craft beer minus a few that are way more expensive.

Forgot to mention, 3 Needs in Burlington has Duff Hour; $1 pints of 'Duff' (Saranac Pale Ale) until the last keg tapped during the Simpson's hour of TV runs dry. :)

Back