quick question - mash thickness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think there really is an "average". It really varies from brewer to brewer and some people change thicknesses batch to batch. I have heard of people mashing as low at .95 l/kg and as high as 1.89 l/kg, perhaps higher. Some people with thinner mashes have been getting better efficiency (because there is more water to extract the sugars), but some people have good success with thick mashes as well. Your mash time also has an effect on your efficiency and how fermentable your wort is.

I don't think there really is an "average". It really varies from brewer to brewer and some people change thicknesses batch to batch. I have heard of people mashing as low at .95 l/kg and as high as 1.89 l/kg, perhaps higher. Some people with thinner mashes have been getting better efficiency (because there is more water to extract the sugars), but some people have good success with thick mashes as well. Your mash time also has an effect on your efficiency and how fermentable your wort is.

some European kits suggest mash thickness of 3l/kg. By now I've been using it regularly.

It seems it is really too much water in a mash... But still I had good efficiency... I don't get it. What is the bad side of very thin mash like 3l/kg?

3 l/kg is not that thin a mash. Quarts and liters are almost the same, while 1 kg = 2.25 lbs. So 3 l/kg is not too far from 1.5 qt/lb which is about mid range mash thickness. I mash thin at 2 - 2.5 qt/lb (about 4.5 l/kg)

than what is the right ratio?

There is no "right" ratio.

"Standard" mashing for homebrewers is at about 1.25 qt/lb. That is what BeerSmith defaults too. 2.61 L/kg, if you switch to metric.

For English bitters, I like to mash at 1 qt/lb (2.09 L/kg), as this seems to give a more malty flavor (or so I am told). I'll also go down to this if I'm brewing a big beer that doesn't quite fit in my cooler at the standard ratio.

Higher ratios of 2 or even 3 qt per lb (4 to 6 L /kg) have been said to increase efficiency of the mash, and some people swear by it. More mash volume means less sparge water too, so you often only need one sparge and still get the good numbers.

Back