I want to try mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrades

Reaction score
I'm new to the brewing thing, but since mead takes so long from start to finish. I want to get a batch going. What is a good one to start out with? Also can I use honey from a local bee keeper, or is it better to buy it? Thanks Shrades

I have been kicking this idea around as well. I might do a 1 gallon batch of just plain, and another gallon with some fruit juice. I replied more to bookmark the thread than to offer any advice :)

LHBS here gets their honey from a local beekeeper (or apiary for those of you who want to be technical ;) ). No problem with that.

Search for JAOM, it's Joe's Ancient Orange Mead. It is designed to be made relatively quickly and is damn near fool proof as long as you are careful about sanitation. I like it but don't love it, but it is a good and easy way to get into the hobby.

Oh and getting honey from a local bee keeper is a fantastic option if that is open to you. Many of us don't have that option and will be jealous.

Also, you can try 1 gallon size batches, while they still take just as long, it limits how much money you are putting into the hobby. That way you can try several different varieties for the same or less initial investment than 1 big batch that might not end up suiting your tastes. Try a show mead, which is just honey, water and yeast; a melomel, which is a fruit based mead either using juices or whole fruits.

Well heres how i went things... You should buy from your local bee keeper its normally better quality honey then what you cna buy at the store and raw unfiltered honey in my opinion has a better taste than the super filtered and expensive store bought comercially provided stuff

I would sugest a simple meade about 3 gallons of water and 2.5-3.5 lbs of honey per gallon add about half a pound of rasiens and a quatered lemon

Bring the water to a boil(then stop boil), dissolve the honey into the three gallons of water, then add the rasiens and the quatered lemon let it simmer for about 10 minutes and cool and pour into the fermenter... add champagne yeast or a strong ale yeast and there you go... should ferment out in 6-8 weeks, then let it sit for 3 or so months to age in bottle

thats what i sugest and you be more then happy with the investment

Cheers

I agree...search for JAOM mead...or better yet Malkore's "not so" Ancient Orange Mead recipe. Joe's is good, but I have found (as well as others) that the white part of the orange leaves a bitter taste in your mouth.

Otherwise I posted a recipe for a 3 week quick mead..that is decent but HOT..it'll knock ya on your keaster right quick. Otherwise any of the basic mead recipes are a good start, and you can make dry, semi sweet or sweet meads depending on your liking

Good luck and keep us posted
Dan

There's no need to boil anything with mead. Heating the honey drives off the aromatics that make the local stuff so prized. Use warm (80 deg F) water if you need it, but never hot and definitely not boiling.

I found a bottle of Chaucers at World Market just now... It came with a teabag. I hope it came with directions too.

I agree...search for JAOM mead...or better yet Malkore's "not so" Ancient Orange Mead recipe. Joe's is good, but I have found (as well as others) that the white part of the orange leaves a bitter taste in your mouth.

Otherwise I posted a recipe for a 3 week quick mead..that is decent but HOT..it'll knock ya on your keaster right quick. Otherwise any of the basic mead recipes are a good start, and you can make dry, semi sweet or sweet meads depending on your liking

Good luck and keep us posted
Dan

Dan,

Where is this recipe you mentioned? And can I make a one gallon recipe?

Thanks,
Matt

If I want to make gallon batches, the yeast that you buy. Is that set up for 5 gallon batches? So do I need to sepperate that into 5th's?

a packet of yeast is usually for 5 gallon batches, and you can use a half or a third if you like. You can also use the whole thing, it's not a big deal either way.

Check out the sticky for info on proper nutrient and energizer additions. And 1 package of yeast is generally good for 1-6 gallons, so use the whole thing. It less then a buck and it gives the yeast a jump start on reproduction.

Back