American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have this in primary right now. I pitched 2 packs of Notty and it was done in 32 hours. Came in a bit low at 1.044 so I added 1lb DME to bring it to 48. (FG 1.009) I would really like to dry hop this one but also wanted to try it as is. Maybe I'll split it up and experiment.

Brewed an all-grain batch of this last night. I'm still new to all-grain, but had a really good session where I hit all my numbers on the nose. Felt pretty good!

I also noticed really pronounced hot and cold breaks. Hoping this comes out nice and clear.

Had to go with Crystal 20, 7.7% Cascade and Safale US-05 due to what the LHBS had in stock, but it smelled fantastic on the way into the fermenter and was already making bubbles this morning. Can't wait to get this stuff in the keg!

Brewed this as my first all grain, not sure how but came in high at 1.060, I did add a pound extra of 2 row assuming my efficiency would suck, guess it didnt. Pitched US-05 and changed the hops a touch as my late additions were citra. Lets see how it turns out, looks and tastes great so far.

Brewing this tonight in 20*F weather, can't wait! Using 8.5lb Pale (great western), and I'm going to mash at 151*F for 75min. Dry hop with 1oz of Cascade in keg in 3 weeks, good times.

My .02, I wouldn't bother scaling it, half pound isn't much and I like a pale with a slightly sweeter character in it with the hops, but if you must, maybe cut the 60L in half and replace with 2 row. Better yet plug in into a program ( brewR, beersmith, etc) play with the numbers (2 row and 60L)until you get the Og, SRM, etc you are comfortable with. They say once you hit 60L, it has a bit of a raisiny note...but once again at that small amount I can't imagine an issue. Plan b...wait til you get the appropriate grain to match the recipe. I don't like plan b...but I like to play with recipes.

Matching the SRM with 60L will be tough with how light 10L is, and they differ in flavor as well as color. I'd just go for a straight substitution for the same amount of 60L, and resign to it being a little darker and different in taste. I have no doubt it would still be excellent, and to me throwing off the percentage of crystal will have a bigger impact than just color.

Extract Version

6.5# Extra Pale LME
1.5# Munich LME
8 oz. Crystal 10L (steep)

Boil & Hops

1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

Chill to 70 to 75 degrees

Can I use marris otter for the lme since technically it is considered pale, or should I use like an Alexander's pale lme?

Brewcrew86 said:
Can I use marris otter for the lme since technically it is considered pale, or should I use like an Alexander's pale lme?

Yeah, MO is fine. I've made it both ways.

Want to make this but switch up the hops because it's what I have on hand. Does this hop schedule seem alright for this type of beer?

.5 oz (12.4%)simcoe (60)
.25 oz simcoe (30)
.25 oz(8.2%) amarillo (30)
.125 oz simcoe (15)
.125 oz amarillo (15)
.25 oz amarillo (5)

I'll be kegging this tomorrow. Took another sample tonight to confirm fermentation was complete. Love the biscuity flavor from the vienna.

I brewed the original recipe and it tastes great already--only one week in the bottle so far. Mine could use a little more head. Should I add a little torrified wheat next time? More time in the bottle will help too.

This was my first time trying an all grain recipe so I am very pleased with the results. Thanks for sharing this great recipe. I will be brewing it again very soon! :mug:

image-219215533.jpg

Hello Mr Ed,

First of all, I brewed up your haus pale ale and I have high hopes. Your claim is grain to glass in 10 days which is one of the reasons I wanted to try this. It has been 6 days today and I threw the hydrometer at it...1.010. Boom! (its still bubbling as we speak 6 days later) I didn't use Notty, I used US-05. So, here is my problem/question...I chose the 10 day option because I'm having a work party that I hoped it would be ready for. I tried the hydrometer sample tonight and it was very yeasty, but honestly smelled kick ass. So, I told you all of that to ask you this...how long do you think it will take for the yeasty flavor to go away? Will a cold crash help? I have a brown ale kegged that I can take as a replacement, but I don't want to keg this beer and show up with the yeasty flavors hangin out. (embarrassing) I have no doubt it will be phenomenal when its done but...have you had any trouble with it finishing early in the past? (kept it around 70 degrees the whole time..)

Thank for any help, and your recipes,

Taco

By the way, of all the recipes on the net-this is the second one of yours. The first was the apfelwein. Great brew and my wife love it, makes her goofy drunk!

Any of the bottle conditioners here had trouble getting this to carb up? I bottled this with 2.4 volumes 3 weeks ago, and it's got almost no carbonation. I get the right pop when I pry off the cap, but there's nothing in the beer itself. Thoughts?

Any of the bottle conditioners here had trouble getting this to carb up? I bottled this with 2.4 volumes 3 weeks ago, and it's got almost no carbonation. I get the right pop when I pry off the cap, but there's nothing in the beer itself. Thoughts?

I just carbed at 2.5 and it came out great. Did you mix the priming sugar well enough before bottling? I've under-mixed before and it led to half duds and half bottle bombs. Not good.

I've brewed this yesterday with MO instead of 2-row and 60L instead of 10L. I've scaled down the crystal just to make sure SRM comes out right.

It's been 14 hours since I've pitched the yeast, and the airlock is now active :)

We'll see how this turns out, since it is my very first homebrew.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Not that it's that long but I've been brewing for a little over two years and this recipe (with a very slight modification) is in my top 3 for sure. Hope it turns out well, enjoy!

I used the US-05 instead of Notty. I also fermented at around 70. My fermenter fridge went tango uniform on me so 70 is all i get. I tasted the beer after 1 week when transferring to secondary... smelled great but (I guess the term is estery??) very yeasty flavor (same flavor at 10 days). I had the same issue when I used Wyeast 1056. Took about a month for the flavor to settle down. Does fermenting at the lower temps help alleviate that off flavor? I'm sure the beer will clean up with a little more time and be great but I really wanted to try to find a "fast" beer. Oh well. Still gonna be good beer.

Anyone have a yeast recommendation that will finish fast without the weird estery flavor, or is it the higher temps that caused it?

Thanks,

Taco :D

I used the US-05 instead of Notty. I also fermented at around 70. My fermenter fridge went tango uniform on me so 70 is all i get. I tasted the beer after 1 week when transferring to secondary... smelled great but (I guess the term is estery??) very yeasty flavor (same flavor at 10 days). I had the same issue when I used Wyeast 1056. Took about a month for the flavor to settle down. Does fermenting at the lower temps help alleviate that off flavor? I'm sure the beer will clean up with a little more time and be great but I really wanted to try to find a "fast" beer. Oh well. Still gonna be good beer.

Anyone have a yeast recommendation that will finish fast without the weird estery flavor, or is it the higher temps that caused it?

Thanks,

I think most of what you're describing has to do with US-05 being a medium-low flocculating yeast, while Nottingham is known for being highly flocculant. I think that likely factored in to Edwort's decision-making process in designing this simple, quick recipe (choosing Nottingham).

With US-04, the yeast will remain in suspension in greater quantities for a longer period of time after fermentation is complete. So when you're tasting your beer there's going to be a strong yeasty flavor, which isn't great-tasting.

Nottingham has more of a tendency to fall out of suspension and settle after fermentation is complete. The first time I brewed with this yeast, I was amazed at how I could basically pour the entire beer out of a bottle because Notty sticks like glue to the bottom.

Cold crashing your fermentor after fermentation completes or just giving the finished beer a good long chill in the fridge should help drop out the yeast and you won't be eating it as much. :)

I think I understand now. Thank you. I will try this beer again with the Notty and see how it goes. I appreciate your time.

I'm a newbie with around 5 brews under my belt now. For my next brew, I want to try Edwarts Haus Pale Ale AG, 10 gallon batch (using Notty yeast).
I've never done a ten gallon batch before.

1. Is it as simple as just doubling the grain bill for this recipe?

2. I'm assuming the temperatures will all remain the same, but will the mash time stay the same also?

What else should I be aware of in converting this recipe to a 10 gallon batch?

Thanks!!

MF

Just double the hops, grains, and yeast. Mash and hop addition schedules remain the same. Be aware that is a lot of liquid. Very heavy...

I brewed up a partial mash version of this beer with

4.25 lbs. Pilsen DME
2 lbs. Vienna
1.5 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
.5 lb. Crystal 10

Followed the hop schedule, pitched Nottingham.

The aroma is interesting. I get almost a sourdough bread character; in a good way though. Either my nose is off or that's how I'm interpreting the "biscuity" notes of the Vienna malt. Anyone else have that experience?

Great stuff, thanks EdWort! Clean, refreshing, malty, and crystal clear too.

0CizRfy.jpg

So I brewed this up on Saturday, BIAB method. Put 28L in the pot as I thought 30 would be pushing it, turns out it would have been okay. Ended up with 19L (5.0 Gallons) volume into the fermenter so my OG was slightly higher @ ~75% efficiency. Got a terrific hot break, stuck at 152, was my first almost perfect brew session!

Pitched s-05 and it took off after 12 hours, lots of stuff swirling around. Today it seems to have settled down, have about an inch of mostly white, thick krausen which is still bubbling a bit. Drew a sample and the gravity is at 1.011! I'm worried it'll keep going down or something :p

Really happy with how this has turned out.

Quick question - it's averaging about 14 degrees outside, could I cold crash for a couple hours outside or is that too cold? Also I plan on doing this in a couple weeks, don't worry :p

Brewing a version of this to go with my new kegging system. Will follow the original except to add one pound of Munich for one pound of Vienna as I like malt forward beer, and use Northern Brewer for the bittering (60 minute) hops due to current inventory. On the way from AHB as I write. Looking forward to getting it in the keg already!

I did this one back on 12/20 and it has been in the keg for 2 weeks. This beer has really become better, we'll rounded the longer it matures. I love the taste and aroma of the cascades the creamy mouth feel, it is a very good beer. I brewed the centennial blonde around the same time as i brewed this one and at first preferred the blonde to this one, but I now much prefer this one. I can see this as being a staple in my kegerator

What's the consensus on fermenting time with S-05?

I took a reading after 3 days and I'm at the suggested FG. I plan on leaving it another week and change, probably a total of 2 weeks.

Sound about right?

What's the consensus on fermenting time with S-05?

I took a reading after 3 days and I'm at the suggested FG. I plan on leaving it another week and change, probably a total of 2 weeks.

Sound about right?

I leave mine for 11 day, cold crash for 2-3 days, and keg. Carb for 2 weeks and enjoy.

Got the thumbs up from the gf on this one, and all supplies on deck for brewing once I transfer my common out of the primary. Looking forward to it

I see that Ed mentioned on an early post he was going to try a little flaked barley for head retention. I could never locate a followup. Anyone know if he ever commented on how it came out?

I see that Ed mentioned on an early post he was going to try a little flaked barley for head retention. I could never locate a followup. Anyone know if he ever commented on how it came out?

I don't know if he ever did, but I threw in 8 oz. when I made it. Unfortunately that was the first time I brewed it so I don't have a comparison, but it seemed to work pretty well for me.

I often use a little bit of flaked wheat in my recipes for head retention. Always seems to give a nice fluffy head.

As much as I hate to mess with a recipe the first time I brew it....my LHBS has whole leaf Centennial hops in stock right now. How would this take to dry hopping with 2 oz of Centennial?

I just bottled my first dry hopped beer (EdWort's Stone IPA clone) last night and man it smelled delicious. I want to keep that deliciousness going onto this batch!

Back