Cooler or Kettle for a Mash Tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on what you're doing.

I use a cooler myself and I'm happy with it, but it's a monster size and kind of an odd one to come by.

If you're doing five gallon all grain batches, then I'd definitely do a cooler. If you're making the step to 10 gallon batches with pumps, then maybe it's time to step up to a kettle.

And there lies the problem. I currently brew 5 gal batches, use a cooler, and use a pump to move things. I may move to 10 gal batches in the future. I'm contemplating how I want to build my brew sculpture.

What size cooler are you using? If you are using a 5 or 10 gallon round cooler pretend its a 10-15 gallon pot and build your system with that in mind. That way you can upgrade to a kettle/keggle or stick with the cooler. Just mind the flames around the cooler.

Right now I use a 36 quart rectangular cooler. It works pretty well, but I'm always interested in improving my skills and knowledge.

Keep in mind that if you start mashing in a kettle you'll have to deal with heat loss. Unless you're planning on doing batches larger than 15 gallons, I'd stick with a cooler. You can get coolers large enough for 15 gallon batches for about the same price as a used 1/2 bbl keg. Less fabrication with the cooler and no need for additional insulation or heat control.

If you don't intend to build some kind of circulation system I would stick with cooler.
As said SS kettle will have heat loss so you"ll have to heat it some way to maintain constant mash temperature.

Keep in mind that if you start mashing in a kettle you'll have to deal with heat loss. Unless you're planning on doing batches larger than 15 gallons, I'd stick with a cooler.

This says it all! Just be warned that a SS MT comes w/ set of issues that must be managed for small batch brewing, and if not managed well you are better off w/ a cooler IMHO.

I just recently went to a keg for an MLT, but I still use my cooler at times for smaller batches. It's lighter, holds heat better, and is super easy to clean. The cooler works fine, if you're not doing step mashes.

If you don't intend to build some kind of circulation system I would stick with cooler.
As said SS kettle will have heat loss so you"ll have to heat it some way to maintain constant mash temperature.

I just recently went to a keg for an MLT, but I still use my cooler at times for smaller batches. It's lighter, holds heat better, and is super easy to clean. The cooler works fine, if you're not doing step mashes.

Why can't you recirculate or do step mashes with a cooler? You don't need a false bottom to go RIMS and even if you didn't want to recirculate you could do step mashes by decoction.

Why can't you recirculate or do step mashes with a cooler? You don't need a false bottom to go RIMS and even if you didn't want to recirculate you could do step mashes by decoction.

Oh, you can recirculate (I have HERMS). But sometimes it's tough to go from a protein rest temp to a saccrification rest temp quickly without infusions. Decoction would work, of course. But I meant that you can direct fire a keg, but not a cooler! :D

Off course you can, as a mater a fact I recirculated in cooler while I was working on HERMS and didn't made MLT jet.
My point was that kettle will lose much heat over time so you"ll probably end with some kind of recirculation with heating element, direct firing is also option but w/out recirculation it requires frequent stirring.

I am considering the same jump to a keggle tun... My current cooler tun has served me well for about 6 years, but I have always been limited to 1.053 and lower beers when I want to do 10 gallon batches. I don't know enough about HERMS to understand how I could adapt it to a cooler tun.

My goal in upgrading is to be able to do higher volume brews, recirculation and step mashing techniques. Of course I want to be able to do it cheap too...

Back