A good Kölsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs3902

Reaction score
I don't know how I've managed to overlook the Kolsch style for so long, but now I love it!! A brewpub near me brews a fantastic kolsch style and it is perfectly crisp and refreshing on a hot summer day while still having a great taste.
Ever since finally trying this style I've been going Kolsch crazy and trying to find some good ones. My local beer store only has harpoons summer beer but I'm going to a better store soon and I know you all will give me some good recommendations. So, what is a good commercially available Kolsch??

I've only seen the Schlafly Kolsh style in stores in my neighborhood lately. It's good.

I've had 3 recently.

Alaskan summer kolsch
Lake superior kayak kolsch
Reisdorf kolsch

Brewed Jamil's recipe and love it after only 2 weeks in the keg

Sam Adams has one in their summer sampler. I'd suggest not going with that one. They try to blend a couple of spices and it doesn't turn out that great IMHO.

In 2002 I went on a trip to Germany with a small group homebrewers and we spent 2 nights in Cologne. We must have had a dozen different varieties of authentic Kölsch! There are not too many American versions of Kölsch that taste as good as those.

I haven't found too many commercially available in my area as well, but I just posted a recipe for my kolsch (German Kolsch) and I can tell you that it is very good. Good luck in your search.

I've had New Holland's Full Circle a few times. Good beer. One of my favorite light beers.

Although I also like Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde so much I always seem to make that for a homemade light beer.

Of those I've tried, I like Reissdorf, Gaffel and Stoudt's. I think Captain Lawrence and Goose Island's are decent, but not as good as the other three.

I live in the Interior of Alaska, and I don't know how I've overlooked Alaskan Summer. After seeing the praises on this thread, I picked up a 6-pack, and wow, is it good. Should go quite well with grilled t-bones tonight! Yet another reason I love this site.....

Alaskan summer is REALLY good

I've had 3 recently.

Alaskan summer kolsch
Lake superior kayak kolsch
Reisdorf kolsch

Brewed Jamil's recipe and love it after only 2 weeks in the keg

Only one I have tried is Sünner's and I love it. School and car repairs have me broke right now, but I really hope I can crank a homebrew Kolesch out before summer ends.

Is Sünner a pretty good representation?

Back