Harsh acidic coffee porter conditioning time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhuarc

Reaction score
My buddy and I brewed a coffee porter this past December. We used a basic porter recipe then added 8 cups of French pressed coffee to it prior to bottling. We were intending to do cold pressed coffee, but forgot to make it the night before so we went with the pressed coffee instead. The beer has been in bottle for almost 3 months. While it tastes ok it has a very harsh acidity to it. Has anyone ever had this experience? Will that harsh acidity go down over time or is it just something we will have to deal with? Keep in mind this is an acidity due to the coffee, not bitterness from the beer. It is drinkable, but I am curious to get some insights on what we can expect this beer to do 6 months or even 1 or 2 years from now.

Thanks all!
Rhuarc

Ouch. You've learned about the 'Never use any coffee in your beer except cold pressed' rule :D
It might mellow a bit, but in my experience bitterness is one of those things that just keeps hanging on.
But now you know for next time!

Damn...lol...anyone else able to give me more hope? Lol... does the amount of coffee seem right or is 8 cups too much for a 5 gal batch?

I just finished a coffee porter and I used two cups of cold brewed coffee and that was perfect for mine. But the grind, brew, blend, and and roast will all determine how much you need to your own taste.

Is the acidic taste your talking about more of an astringent taste? Might be from the tannins in the coffee.. They might mellow a little with time but won't go away.

edmanster said:
Is the acidic taste your talking about more of an astringent taste? Might be from the tannins in the coffee.. They might mellow a little with time but won't go away.

The acidity I am talking about is more of the bright acidity you get out of a Latin American coffee, not the harshness associated with over extracting a darker earthier coffee.

I tried one last night just chilled,not fridge cold like I had been and it the other flavors came out much more. I think fridge cold dims the other flavors but not the acidity.

You're absolutely right about higher temps allowing more flavors to come out.
I like drinking most of my beers (and dark ones especially) at about 50F or so.

My sound strange but ever think of sprinkling a small amount of sugar in the glass (or on the rim). In my experience with coffee a little sugar seems to help cut the acidity how that would apply to beer I have no idea...

Did you add any lactos? Some like a pound to five gallons. I did 8oz. and was perfect for my tastes. Not real sweet, but definately not bitter.

Back