Malted apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I've had some malted ciders and really liked them. Anyone have a recipe for a malted apfelwein? I'd like to do all grain and not use DME.

Yep store bought juice mixed with all grain wort. That's what I want.

I can't help with the all grain version, but there is a recipie on the Mr. Beer site they call Graff, it's a lightly hopped malted cider. I am sure you could convert the extract part to all grain with software. Here is the recipie:

Graff

4 oz crystal 120
.5 oz Torrified Wheat
2 gallons Apple Juice (just juice, H2O, and acorbic acid
8 oz light DME
8 oz Amber DME
.25 oz Hops (cascade)
Lavin cider yeast ( next batch will be SA-04 or Notty)

Steep Grains 30 minutes at 155 degrees
boil 30 minutes, add hops at flameout
Follow 2/2/3 MINIMIUM this is really good at 2 weeks warm, 2 weeks cold conditioning.

There are a few variations floating arround but I think this is the original.

A HB club member let us try an apple ale. He used about 4 cored and peeled apples in his mash. This turned the apples into apple sauce. IMO the flavor was not bad at all.

If using juice you will have a much more wine like taste. If that is what you are after I see no reason why you could not either add the apple juice after the boil (It should be sterile from the store.

Summersoltice has a caramel apple mead. I realize that this is not exactly what you want but it may give you some more ideas.

GL

Back