The Southern Tier’s Crème brûlée Imperial Milk Stout Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VillageBrew

Reaction score
I really love this Stout and would love to make an extract version. Any ideas on how to convert it.

Here’s my guess at the recipe for the Southern Tier Crème brûlée Imperial Milk Stout.

14.75 lbs Pale Ale malt
3.25 lbs Crystal/Caramel malt 120L
1.0 lbs Lactose (milk sugar)
0.75 oz Columbus hops (14% AA - 60 minutes)
1.00 oz Horizon hops (12% AA - 5 minutes)
4.00 oz natural vanilla extract (at bottling or kegging)
White Labs WLP006 or Wyeast 1099S.G. 1.104
F.G. 1.026
IBU 26.5
SRM 31
ABV 10.19%
Pre-boil 6 gallons / Batch size 5 gallons

I really love this Stout and would love to make an extract version. Any ideas on how to convert it.

Here’s my guess at the recipe for the Southern Tier Crème brûlée Imperial Milk Stout.

14.75 lbs Pale Ale malt
3.25 lbs Crystal/Caramel malt 120L
1.0 lbs Lactose (milk sugar)
0.75 oz Columbus hops (14% AA - 60 minutes)
1.00 oz Horizon hops (12% AA - 5 minutes)
4.00 oz natural vanilla extract (at bottling or kegging)
White Labs WLP006 or Wyeast 1099S.G. 1.104
F.G. 1.026
IBU 26.5
SRM 31

You could use 10 pounds of DME for the pale malt. That'd be all you'd have to do!

That recipe isn't for a stout, though. That recipe sucks, and is for a very sweet amber ale.

I had this stout last night and I for one just wasn't that impressed. It comes in right at 9.6%. I didn't sense any Lactose in it, if it did it wasn't enough for me and the wife. I bought it for the wife and I think it wasn't sweet enough for her. The roasted notes weren't too bad, but there was an upfront bitterness that I wasn't a fan of. Good luck!

I had this stout last night and I for one just wasn't that impressed. It comes in right at 9.6%. I didn't sense any Lactose in it, if it did it wasn't enough for me and the wife. I bought it for the wife and I think it wasn't sweet enough for her. The roasted notes weren't too bad, but there was an upfront bitterness that I wasn't a fan of. Good luck!

Can a beer get sweeter than this one? Holy cow.

That's a shame cause it sounds like it could be tasty. Most of ST's brews are pretty good IMO, guess I'll just have to try it myself!

That recipe looks like it needs some dark/roasted malts to be a stout.

From the bottle: 2-Row Pale malt, dark caramel malt, vanilla bean, lactose sugar (didn't taste it), kettle hops: columbus and aroma hops: Horizon. 9.6% ABV

Sure. Looked great, smelled great.. but it was a drain pour. I couldn't stomach it.

I was excited to try this and unfortunately I felt it tasted like flavored coffee creamer. I struggled through the whole bottle because I paid like $9 for it. Way too sweet - almost gave me a headache.

Sounds like my tastebuds must have been off that night. It was sweet, I guess, but in a very cloying way. I didn't like harshness of the front-end of it.

I was excited to try this and unfortunately I felt it tasted like flavored coffee creamer. I struggled through the whole bottle because I paid like $9 for it. Way too sweet - almost gave me a headache.

Yeah I think I paid $8 and split it with someone.. couldn't even finish my half.. well, I ALMOST did.

Back