Blow-off Debacle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman1036

Reaction score
Saturday night I brewed NB's "The Number Eight" (high-alcohol Belgian Dark). Fermentation started as normal throughout Sunday, and this morning (Monday) I checked-in on it to make sure everything was safe and sound... it was clear I needed to switch to a blow-off hose. This was at about 5:30am today, I was barely awake, and going through the motions (I've replaced the air-lock with a blow-off hose numerous times). In my exhaustion, I must not have pushed the hose far enough into the neck of the carboy, because when I got home from work today the blow off hose had fallen out of the carboy. Fortunately the kraeusen didn't spill onto my floor, but the carboy could have been exposed to open air all day - I can't know for sure. As soon as I got home, I replaced the blow-off hose into the neck of the carboy and the beer was quickly back to happily blowing bubbles in my blow-off bucket through the hose.

Assuming nothing from my dingy basement ceiling actually fell into the beer (I realize I'm pretty much out of luck in that case), do I have anything to worry about?

I wouldn't worry too much. With a still very active fermentation, the C02 being burped off constantly by the wort, you should have had some protection. There's always a chance, but nothing you can do on it right now.

Soooo, RDWHAHB and pray that the fermentation gods are looking on you with favor.

Nah, you'll be fine. Beer is very forgiving (except the day after you drink 1 too many).

There are actually techniques that some use that are an open fermentation where they basically ferment in a bucket covered in aluminu, alumini, aluemin... tin foil.

Having your tube pop out for a few hours is should have little or no affect ... effect? Unless you are on life support.

Cheers!

Thanks guys! It sounds like I just need to hope that nothing fell in. I need this beer to turn out for the completion of my winter brews series!

Belgian Dark - 1.087
Imperial Stout - 1.086
Vanilla Bourbon Barrel Porter - 1.068 (pre-bourbon addition)

Back