Bottling from taps - Perlick owners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son in law and I bottled up a case and a half the other day using the Bowie Bottler. I have 10' beer lines and then used about a 2' line from my tap. Here is the secret to keeping beer off the ceiling....you must turn off the tap before the beer gets to the bottom of the stopper, if that beer gets up to the bottom of that stopper and you haven't turned off the tap it's going to blow. There is no place for that pressure to go except out past that stopper and into your face, ceiling and the wall.

This is a grteat thread at a great forum!
Just ordered one from Mike for my Perlick 425s.
A question and a couple of thoughts:
1.] the bottling wands in the vids have no check valve at the bottom.
Why not use a wand with check valve on bottom instead of turning handle on and off, on and off, etc.?
2.] I've got one of McMaster Carr 1986K5 in each of my 425s just in case the cats
rub their face on my handles and start 5 gallons of beer to dump on floor.
I'll have to overcome that to leave handle on for filling.
3.] In one of the vids, no airspace was left in the bottles.
Once I filled a grolsch bottle with cold tap water, sealed it and left it at room temp.
As the water warmed up and expanded it expolded the bottle. Just saying, watch out.

Hi Eisen,

1.] the bottling wands in the vids have no check valve at the bottom.
Why not use a wand with check valve on bottom instead of turning handle on and off, on and off, etc.?
I believe it's been tried before, and using the bottling wand with fully carbed beer resulted in too much foam. Give it a shot and let us know how it works for you.

3.] In one of the vids, no airspace was left in the bottles.
Once I filled a grolsch bottle with cold tap water, sealed it and left it at room temp.
As the water warmed up and expanded it expolded the bottle. Just saying, watch out.
A good point. I've found that filling the bottle to the rim and removing the racking cane leaves about 3/4" of headspace, which seems just about right.

-Joe

I am working on a bottle filler kit that will work on the new 525 Perlick (solid piece units). I may also have a kit for the standard non forward sealing taps as well.

I will post here if and when they become avaiable.

Also as I reminder I do have these with the Ventmatic thread as well.

Any chance that you made a version for the standard non-Perlick faucets? I have the cheap chrome faucets and am not yet ready to make the jump to Perlicks but want to fill bottles from the tap like this.

Any chance that you made a version for the standard non-Perlick faucets? I have the cheap chrome faucets and am not yet ready to make the jump to Perlicks but want to fill bottles from the tap like this.

try this.. it fits the generic bar taps.. only thing that sucks is the barb is 1/4in or 5/16in.. i tried fitting a 3/16 hose over the barb but it wouldnt go.. I ended up fittin a 1/4 hose over it after heating it up.. I wish they made a 3/16th version.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Jug-growler-filler_p_1682.html

try this.. it fits the generic bar taps.. only thing that sucks is the barb is 1/4in or 5/16in.. i tried fitting a 3/16 hose over the barb but it wouldnt go.. I ended up fittin a 1/4 hose over it after heating it up.. I wish they made a 3/16th version.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Jug-growler-filler_p_1682.html

Thanks, I picked this up and a couple of other things I needed from homebrewing.org.

Why does it matter if it's not 3/16? Before the beer gets to the faucet, it's already gone through 10 feet of 3/16" tubing so the pressure should be low.

Wort-O-Matic: Herb's No-Fuss Bottle-Filler

With a perlick forward seal you can use a corny dip tube.

97.png

Other than fill and go. I'd still be concern about bottling from it. Tap lines get bugs that will express themselves in a non-refrigerated bottle.

That's super smart especially if you had a #2 stopper on it. I just use a racking cane, to a tube right to the keg.

So I take it there is no adapter for the 525?

I'll be upgrading my newly acquired kegerator taps to 525s for Xmas and was looking for an adapter for bottling. Up until now I've been using picnic taps and the "...stinking beer bun......" solution.

Kealia said:
So I take it there is no adapter for the 525? I'll be upgrading my newly acquired kegerator taps to 525s for Xmas and was looking for an adapter for bottling. Up until now I've been using picnic taps and the "...stinking beer bun......" solution.

Look on eBay, there are several sellers that have them for $11.85 with free shipping. You might want to check your LHBS as well. Brew Depot in Alpharetta Ga carries them in the store.

You can find them for $9 and change to $15 I use a section of tubing from my old racking cane. Works great, tight fit, no leaks.

*sigh* Didn't even think about checking eBay. I mean, if it's not in this thread it clearly can't exist, right?

Thanks for the point in the right direction. Google turned up nothing (not even the eBay listings) but I've found them now.

Mahalo~

Yes, that is what I was looking for and having trouble finding.

Williams brewing has the adapter for $4.90 and $.45 for one foot of tubing for it. $5.35 total for it. I just ordered that and 16 new o-rings, 8 green for my gas posts and 8 black for my beer posts. With shipping it was just under $20.

Back