Help w/ a Helles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buchsenr

Reaction score
My wife created a monster by getting my home brew kit for me. I started last night and think I screwed up...

I pitched my yeast, but didn't use preboiled water or a clean container. I caught that mistake in time, so I didn't add it to my wort. I had another packet of yeast (that I think came with this beer) that said to add it directly to the wort and aerate, so I did. I've been struggling with temp management (warm garge, not cool closet) but now should have that under control. My big problem is I haven't seen any signs of the volcanic fermentation that occurs early in the process. I have some "stuff" on the top and bottom of my carboy. The matter on top is less than half an inch thick.

Could I have damaged the yeast with too high a temp?

Should I have pitched(correct term?) the second yeast?

Since its Helles, will it just take longer?

Am I just impatient?

What was the temp of the wort when you pitched? You can pitch yeast in the 80's and they will survive. It is not recommneded but they will survive. Could you describe what you see on the surface? If it is starting to foam then it is most likely starting to ferment. My first brew was a slow starter and I got impatient and I don't think you should panic just yet. An important thing is to try to stabilize the temp at 70 or so during fermentation. You might try putting the fermentor in a water bath.

Thanks for your help...

It looks like a tan sponge with green goo. It's maybe 1/8" thicker than before and I get one buble about every 10-15seconds out of the top of the carboy (carbouy?) It was very easily in the 80s. I ran out of sanitizer and had bleach to make any more. Talk about a rookie mistake... My directions are from Home Brew Outlet Inc, and don't have the name of the beer on them. Unfortunately, step number 8 reads,"...Add yeast when wort temperature is" and then you turn over for number 9.

-Ron

It sounds like the top fermenting ale yeast and some hops are forming on the surface. You should be OK. I hope you rinsed well after using the bleach. What is the temperature now?

That should read, had no bleach to make more, I was out of anything to sanitize at that point. Temp is mid 70s.

Back