Fermenting juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twistingking

Reaction score
Hi all! I am a new brewer I have made a couple of Bocks so far and have some cider I made from my own apple trees aging in the basement now. What I was thinking about is Could I take something like juicey juice that is all juice no preservatives and ferment it to alcohol? I was think along the lines of turning fruit punch into a hard Punch by adding champagne yeast and letting it age. Can this be done and it so how much and what kind of yeast should I use?

I would just make sure it has no artificial ingredients or additives (absorbic acid is ok). Juicy Juice is from concentrate, so the flavor might not be as good as using not-from-concentrate juice but would still work.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/ has some good info about different yeasts. General rule of thumb, since you mentioned champagne yeast, is that it will tend to ferment much drier (higher alcohol % and less sweet) than other yeasts. With that said, I will be making a cider w/pasteur champagne yeast as soon as my fermenter is free and backsweetening it to taste to try it out.

I do it all the time with apple juice: Man, I love Apfelwein

Keep in mind though, once the yeast has eaten all of the sugar in the juice it will not taste the same - not necessarily bad, but it will not end up tasting like the original juice. Experiment on a small scale, like a gallon at a time to see what you come up with.

Back