Another wheat/keg carb problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoughandReadyRanch

Reaction score
Ok so I have a wheat in the keg at 41'F ad it is sitting on 19psi and has 15ft of 3/16 beer tubing between it and the party tap. I open the tap full bore and am still getting all head and a relatively flat mouth feel. I have read a lot of people saying that 10ft would be more than enough and I took the extra 5 just in case so I could lower it as a worst case scenario. Anyone got some incite for me. I love the easy of kegging but I am not getting that perfect poor I always dreamed of. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you're over carbonated. I don't have the co2 volume calculator in front of me, but that's a low temp and seems like a high serving pressure. I have 12 foot lines and serve most beers at 49F and 12 psi give or take.

Other than that, your symptoms could be caused by temperature differential, like does part of the line sit outside the fridge? Or a kinked or spliced line, or maybe a junk picnic tap could cause some agitation. I would invest in premium faucets just to be sure ;)

Sounds like you're over carbonated. I don't have the co2 volume calculator in front of me, but that's a low temp and seems like a high serving pressure. I have 12 foot lines and serve most beers at 49F and 12 psi give or take.

Other than that, your symptoms could be caused by temperature differential, like does part of the line sit outside the fridge? Or a kinked or spliced line, or maybe a junk picnic tap could cause some agitation. I would invest in premium faucets just to be sure ;)

All the line is in the keezer and the faucets are on the list of things to buy as is building a collar. I looked at a lot of tables and I am seeing settings ranging from 15-30psi so i just dont know.

My Co2 chart shows at 41F, and at a target of 3.0 vol (sounds like you like high carb in your wheat beer) your reg should be set to 17 psi.
That is a pretty high serving pressure, and the bottom line is, whatever your serving pressure, you control the flow with hose diameter and length.
You can try turning down the pressure and purging (it will take a couple days to equalize), or lengthen your beer lines and serve at your present set pressure.
Some have had good luck using epoxy mixing nozzles (the mixer only is placed inside the dip tube), but this has not worked for me. I lengthened the hoses and problem solved.

My Co2 chart shows at 41F, and at a target of 3.0 vol (sounds like you like high carb in your wheat beer) your reg should be set to 17 psi.
That is a pretty high serving pressure, and the bottom line is, whatever your serving pressure, you control the flow with hose diameter and length.
You can try turning down the pressure and purging (it will take a couple days to equalize), or lengthen your beer lines and serve at your present set pressure.
Some have had good luck using epoxy mixing nozzles (the mixer only is placed inside the dip tube), but this has not worked for me. I lengthened the hoses and problem solved.

See I thought I did that but do I need 20ft? seems a bit crazy for a beer. Guess I will just purge and set to 10 to serve.

Mason,
Could you post a link to where you get serving pressures from please. Sorry about the hijack.. Back on topic.
Wheelchair Bob

Here's one:
http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

I tend to serve at the low end of the carbonation scale (2 - 2.4 volumes), the OP is over carbonated according to that chart (over 3 volumes).
Use the chart to set your temperature and pressure, then adjust your line length to get a suitable pour where longer lines/slower pour won't hurt anything, but lines too short can cause head problems.

Back