Paranoia Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay so I may as well get those niggling questions out of my head before they get me going all crazy.

My first AG baby is sat on the side bubbling away after just 6 hours.
Is that normal and is there such a thing as a ferment starting too fast.

I thought the yeasty beasties needed to hang out and party before doing some work. If there's not enough of them will they be work shy.

What's that line about all work and no play?

You used a dry yeast for this batch, if I remember correctly. They have a lot more cells (typically 100 billion (US)). That means after three growth periods, the population is 400B. It takes a liquid yeast 12-20 hours to get to that level.

Try tossing a batch on the cake from the previous batch, if you want a fast start. One IPA batch blew the lid off the bucket 30 minutes after I dumped it on a Mild cake.

Im tipping my glass of Wheat right now to you my friend! Good job on your first AG!!! Cheers!!

the faster the ferment the better :)

re-rack a fresh batch of wort on an old yeast cake and count the minutes till ferment!!!

know how you feel, Orfy- I woke up early yesterday to check the batch I brewed on Monday....wanted to stay up all night and watch for the first bubble, but I was tired. All's good though-went like a raped ape all day yesterday and into this morning. Slowed down now, though, but still good. I got 5Gal primary of pale ale on my right, 5 gal of 4 week secondary stout on my left, and I am drinking my conditioned Banshee Irish Red while I type.

ahhhhhhhhh............

I am jealous though. Can't wait to go all grain.

man orfy, just wait until you make a starter for one of those beastie brews or yours. i toast a Big B's ESB to you my friend! what was the brew?

It was my first AG Hob Goblin Clone. EP has it bottled at present.
I fly to Florence on Wednesday so I'll rack it to secondary on Monday or Tuesday.

How can you have a paranoia thread without one single mention of black helicopters, grassy knolls or the Amish/Canadian Conspiracy to debase the American economy by stealing the buttons from our shirts and adding mind control serum to the bacon on our egg mcmuffins?

UNLESS you all are members of the Amish/Canadian Revolutionary Council! Ah HA! You are unmasked!

kornkob said:
How canyou have a paranoia thread without one single mention of black helicopters, grassy knolls or the Amish/Canadian Conspiracy to debase the American economy by stealing the buttons from our shirts and adding mind control serum to the bacon on our egg mcmuffins?
Dammit kornkob, why did you have to give the mcmuffin thing away. :mad: :mad: Everybody say buh bye to kornkob...not that he's gonna be able to hear. :D

Back