Do deer like hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Here's a question for a few of you - Do deer like hops? Do they go nuts for them like Hasta?

I'm a deer hunter and have a stand that is made from four vertical poles and rings every 3' - it looks like the skeleton of a grain silo. I was considering grabbing a few rhizomes in the spring, running them up north to the deer hunting land and planting them at the bottom of each of my stand posts. It would help camoflage the stand, offer food/snacks and smell delicious. They wouldn't be for harvesting just for fun.

thoughts?

Deer have consumed pretty much all of my neighbors hostas this summer but left my two centennial plants alone, take that for what it's worth.

I planted 3 at our lake property this spring. They are notorious for p*&@ing me off in the spring as all of my white pine seedlings are topped. They mostly left my hops alone this year, but did eat the leaves off about a 3 foot section of my Cascade. Thankfully they didn't cut the bine, so I didn't care and still got my hop harvest. I think they just wanted a taste, or they coulda done a whole lot more damage.

Sounds like consensus is, plant more hostas if you are looking to attract deer. For decoration and some possible additional harvets, plant hops.

Deer eat bitter plants last. They will eat them, but as a last resort. Its why they tend to leave ferns alone but eat everything else on the forest floor. I imagine that this is why they seem to leave hops alone.

Got it, thanks guys. More hosta and clover for 2012 for sure. Maybe I'll throw some rhizomes out there in the spring just as camo - and, of course, because it's awesome and I'll have rhizomes coming out of my ears. I suppose a mature vine would also help stabilize me up there. awesome.

We have a grower with 3 acres who has lots of deer in his hop field. They love the clover planted as a cover crop but ignore the hops.

The best part is in a field with dozens of 20 ft poles, a free standing "tree" stand doesn't stick out. They got more giant bucks out of that field then ever before.

Back