3711 saison with brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bensiff

Reaction score
I have 10 gallons of saison fermenting out right now. I want to hit half of it with brett. Given the seemingly super-attenuation of 3711 I figure by the time I hit it with brett the only thing left for the brett to eat will be the 3711 yeast itself and will take months to get a brett character. Anyone have experience or thoughts on this because I sure to like a subtle bit of barn in my saisons? Oh, and thoughts on what strain of brett would be nice too, I have played with brett b enough, but don't have experience with the other strains.

I have 10 gallons of saison fermenting out right now. I want to hit half of it with brett. Given the seemingly super-attenuation of 3711 I figure by the time I hit it with brett the only thing left for the brett to eat will be the 3711 yeast itself and will take months to get a brett character. Anyone have experience or thoughts on this because I sure to like a subtle bit of barn in my saisons? Oh, and thoughts on what strain of brett would be nice too, I have played with brett b enough, but don't have experience with the other strains.

I would rack 5g into secondary with say 2-5 lbs Honey,corn sugar,cane sugar,candi sugar,etc whatever you prefer and the brett, it will up your abv some yes but it will give the brett something to eat and help develop the brett flavor your looking for.

As far as Strains of Brett, I would use something like Brettanomyces Lambicus Activator 5526 and Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Activator Wyeast 5112 Just to be different lol.Why hit it with one strain when you can hit it with two!

I bottled a 3711 Saison yesterday, and it was 1.000. It was the third use of the yeast, and it seems to be getting more attenuative. The last 2 brews being 1.004 and 1.002.

Check the gravity, if it's around 1.008, just pitch the brett. If lower, think about adding some Malto-dextrin which the 3711 will not ferment. If you add simple sugars, the 3711 will just eat them up before the Brett is even awake.

Like you, I've got some experience with Brett-B, but none of the others, so I can't give any advice on what brett strain would be best.

Thanks guys....the maltodextrin tip is a good thought. I would like to play around with more strains of brett, but not willing to shell out the $20 on two different smack packs. Now if anyone knows of a commercial 100% brett beer that isn't a brett b, than I could tie that together with an Avery 15 and have something going for this saison.

I made a Brett Saison using 3711 and WL Brux with both being pitched in the beginning at the same time.

The finished beer only had mild funkiness, but after a few months of aging in 750s the funk is now at perfect levels.

Your other option if you're feeling froggy is to bottle prime half the batch with malto dextrine. What I did was take a grown up culture of bottle sediment (JP La Roja) and dose each bottle with some microbes. I primed it half with a little ordinary priming sugar and then made up the other half of carbonation volumes with MD. The beers are nicely carbonated and have a slight brett funk. I think the hop bitterness was a little over the top for this batch so I think the brew will improve as the hops fade a bit. I bottled in champagne bottles as an FYI so if I over did anything they could take it.

Man I would love to have me some JP...my beer guy is working on getting it for me as soon as the distributor starts getting it in again.

3711 doesn't leave much for the Brett. If you mash higher and pitch them at the same time you'll get more brett character. I'd just build a brett starter from your favorite brett beer. I like to use 3711 for most of my saisons but I'll use the Belgian saison with brett since it will poop out easy if you don't ramp your temps. I pitch the Belgian and brett so I get the nice peppery character and the brett has more time to do its thing.

3711 doesn't leave much for the Brett. If you mash higher and pitch them at the same time you'll get more brett character. I'd just build a brett starter from your favorite brett beer. I like to use 3711 for most of my saisons but I'll use the Belgian saison with brett since it will poop out easy if you don't ramp your temps. I pitch the Belgian and brett so I get the nice peppery character and the brett has more time to do its thing.

Sorry to revive this, I see its a bit old...

Do you find that when you pitch brett at the same time as your belgian saison yeast (or 3711 if you've done it with that one too) that you get a very strong brett flavor or is it a little more subtle? I'm planning on doing a slightly sour saison but this will be my first sour attempt. Thanks

Sorry to revive this, I see its a bit old...

Do you find that when you pitch brett at the same time as your belgian saison yeast (or 3711 if you've done it with that one too) that you get a very strong brett flavor or is it a little more subtle? I'm planning on doing a slightly sour saison but this will be my first sour attempt. Thanks

I want to try it with the Belgian saison yeast but I've only tried it with the French Saison(3711). The great thing about brett is it can give a surprising amount of flavor without a large gravity change. Lactobacillis will give you sourness but the brett will give you different flavors, maybe a bit tartness but more pineapple, pie cherry or barnyard depending which strain you pick. I like rye in my saison's and some brett. Not huge brett flavor but it gets more predominant as it ages.
I've tried pitching the brett at the same time as primary yeast and tried after without appreciable difference because that 3711 works so fast and brett works so slow I just pitch it in the secondary. Brett lambicus is one of my favorites.

Back