Deck Care

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I bought my house about a year ago. It looks like the previous owner replaced some boards on the deck and stained the entire thing to make it look nice to sell. A year later, it doesn't look so nice, it is under some pine trees, etc.

I bought some Deck Wash and used that, worked well, I think one more treatment and a brush will clean everything off.

Should I treat the deck with anything?

I would [really] prefer not to have to stain it. I think you can apply Thompson's water seal over stains, but I am not sure if I really need to. I am not so worried about keeping the deck looking perfect, just want to make sure that I am keeping the wood protected so I don't have to replace the deck anytime soon.

Just thought I would ask if anyone knows about this stuff.

I'm not sure the BEST stuff to use, but I've heard nothing but bad things about Thompson's. I've got to stain my deck this spring, so I am interested in hearing what people have had good success with as a sealer.

I have never heard anything bad about Thompson's either and that is what I am leaning towards using, probably the tinted stuff to match the stain that is there now.

I just wasn't sure if it needed it, how long to satins protect?

Read my post again - I've never heard anything GOOD about Thompson's.

I used a Cabot sealer on my fence, although it's debateable how good a job that's done. But, I was strongly advised to NOT use Thompson's when I began tackling that project.

I wash my deck with "deck wash" and rinse and apply a see-through stain every two years. That stain is a deck stain, so it's not slippery, and it protects the wood. When I first built the deck, I had to do it yearly as that is what's recommended for new decks but not it's every two years. I would NOT use Thompson's water seal or any other sealer.

Now if you don't want to stain it, your options are very limited. They do make a clear stain, though.

Oh wow, I did mis-read that post.

Hmm...maybe I won't use the Thompson's then. . .

I know stain will work and I don't really care about the color, but it is a lot of work:cross:

What have you heard bad about Thompson's, just curious?

Thanks

I use thompsons on my deck and my hot tub both have been fine, and look like the day I put them in

powerwasher and a sealer, at least that's what I've been told about my deck...

todd_k said:
powerwasher and a sealer, at least that's what I've been told about my deck...

What kind of sealer?

Honestly, I am looking for something I can spray on with the pump sprayer that I use to apply the "deck wash."

I'm not trying to convice you, trust me- but applying a sealant is the same process as applying a stain. It's the same basic thing, but stain can have color and the sealant is a clear sealer, IIRC.

Stain application:
Application Methods: Clear Coatings can be applied by a variety of methods including brush, spray, roller and pad. Brushing is considered to be the best technique for detail work such as spindles and railings. However, for large horizontal deck surfaces, spray application is quickest and easiest. Either airless power sprayers or pump hand-held sprayers can be used. It is important when spray applying finishes to back brush or back roll the wet coating. This evens out the finish and eliminates drips and lap marks. Pads are also well suited to coat decks. Individual boards should be coated along their entire length to prevent lap marking. Paint rollers are more suitable for applying siding finishes than for deck coatings. However, they can be used successfully to apply clear finishes and water repellants to decks. As for most exterior coatings, it is vital that deck finishes be applied under proper weather conditions. Solvent borne coatings are a bit more forgiving than water-based formulations and can usually be applied when outside temperatures are in the range of 40-90°F. Water-based products should not usually be applied if outside temperatures will fall below 50°F within 24 hours after application. Deck coatings ideally should not be applied if precipitation is forecast for the 12-24 hour period after coating. This will prevent the possibility of water spotting or wash-off. Once they dry, of course, these finishes will be resistant to precipitation.

From the Thompson website: Do not mix with other waterproofing products; variations in the final appearance of the surface being treated may result.
Do not thin.
A small trial patch should be tried before application over the entire surface.
Only one light coat is necessary in most applications.
Apply by brush, roller, dipping, or sprayer. A garden "pump-up" style sprayer is the simplest method. Regardless of which application method used, remove puddles within 15 minutes by redistributing to dry areas or wiping off.
Use only with adequate ventilation.
Oiliness and tackiness will result if over-applied or applied to wet or damp surface, or if overnight temperature falls below 50° F within 48 hours of application.

Seems to me that you can spray whichever you want. I use a mop handle and lambswool applicator, and "swab the deck".

Thanks, almost everything I have read about stains say you can't use garden style pump sprayers, I think they are referring to Wagner spray painter things. I will double check though.

I know Thompson's sells tinted sealer, I was going to get the red that matches the prior stain on the deck.

But after reading a bit, I think I will probably go with a stain. Olympic's website convinced me I guess.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Cabot Decking Stain 1480
$29 opaque, A
• • •

Cabot Solid Color 1880
30 opaque, L
• • • •

Consumer Reports likes the two cabot stains above as their #1 and #2 picks. Hope that helps.

After careful consideration and your helpful posts, I think am definitely going with a stain. I will apply with the sprayer (pump action one) and then 'back brush (or roll)' to assure even coverage. I will probably get the Cabot, this is what the previous owners used.

Do you that stain do anything other than clean before staining? Like stripping or brightening? I think since I am going to use the same color this won't be needed.

could always rent a power sprayer from your local home depot.. that is what i used to do before i got my spray gun for the compressor. works pretty well.. can also rent pressure washers from them too.. a few bux and a half day and you could have the deck all done and ready to go for prime grilling season.

SpamDog

I use Sun frog sealer..it's spendy as hell but it'll last close to two years between applications. I did my brand new deck last year and the color was magnificent and the water beaded up and rolled right off.

http://www.sunfrog.com/products/woodsealer.html

As far as thompson's, I had a few people tell me to stay away from it too
although I can't really say why. maybe quality issues or something.

Reidman said:
I use Sun frog sealer..it's spendy as hell but it'll last close to two years between applications. I did my brand new deck last year and the color was magnificent and the water beaded up and rolled right off.

http://www.sunfrog.com/products/woodsealer.html

Thanks,
It really that expensive, I think Cabot stain is more. Reading the description, they look to be about the same in what they do.

I spent a good part of yesterday cleaning, using 'deck wash' and the hose. Looks a lot better, but I can tell it needs a coat of stain.

I debating whether I need to do anything else before adding the stain, some parts are clean but there are some spots that still have stains. Might have to go to Home Depot to see what else they have to offer.

Then, I have to find a 4-5 days stretch with no rain, this might be the hardest part. . .

Back