WY1968 problems - cidery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierhaus15

Reaction score
I have used wy1968 for a lot of my darker English style ales but I recently started using it for my bitters, in place of Thames Valley. However, the last three bitters I have brewed with it have developed a very cidery-tart (sorta like apple juice) flavor about a month into the bottle. The beer tastes superb at bottling and a week or so after that, but once it reaches full CO2 it loses its maltiness and develops this off flavor that really makes the beer unappetizing.

Has anyone else encountered this?

I know I am not over priming or stressing the yeast with high temps. This is really starting to bother me as I think I may have to dump these three batches!

What volume did you prime these to? A very flavorful english strain like this will taste odd when served highly carbed and very cold. They really do perform best just like they're supposed to be served: warm and flat.:D

Have you tried pouring one vigorously, letting it sit for 15min, and then tasting?

What volume did you prime these to? Have you tried pouring one vigorously, letting it sit for 15min, and then tasting?

All batches were all grain, no sugar added, and primed to 2.0-2.2 volumes with dextrose. Ferment temp was around 65-68F for three weeks. Even when I drink them at room temp they still have this off flavor.

I am starting to think it may have something to do with this particular yeast strain. I normally use wy1275 for my bitters with no problems, but I thought I would switch to 1968 for a little maltier beer.... and I get three crap batches!

I have found that 1968 beers take quite a while to condition. It may have something to do with the amazing flocculating character of this yeast, causing it to settle out and go dormant before cleanup is really complete.

Maybe rousing the yeast towards the end of fermentation, and ramping temps up toward the end might speed this process up.

I've also found that this yeast just doesn't taste 'right' with higher mash temps. Mash low and slow - 148F or thereabout - for best flavours with this one - for bitters, anyway. Apparently Lagunita's uses this with high mash temps with good results.

I'm pretty sure Lagunitas uses the California Ale strain.

As for the cidery taste, my only advice would be ramping up the temp as fermentation slows. One degree per day, starting with day 4 or 5. Then stop at about 72 and let condition as long as you like.

I love this yeast.

I use this yeast a lot and have had no problems with off flavours. I ferment at 68 and carbonate at around 1.8 volumes for my bitters, 2.0 for special bitters. As for conditioning I usually go from wort to keg in 10 days and drinking it a week later. In addition if it was acetaldehyde it should be present at bottling time, not develop a month later . A lactobaccilus infection could give you cidery off flavours.

GT

Back