Commercially Made Stir Plate Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua618

Reaction score
I have a DIY stir plate that I made. It works great with my 2 liter erlenmeyer flask. It has a lot of trouble with larger starters in my 5 liter flask. I am interested in getting a commercially made stir plate for larger starters.

I was looking at this stirplate that Northern Brewer sells:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/fermenting-equipment/yeast-handling/low-profile-stir-plate.html

Does anyone own this stir plate and have you used it with a 5 liter erlenmeyer flask?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a resonably priced commerically made stir plate?

Thanks.

Thanks for the responses. The stirplates from those two sources look very similar to what I have now. I built mine with a small fan with magnets, voltage controller, etc. I am looking for a more commerical/professional type stirplate. Other suggestions?

Look at EBay. You can find commercial stir plates there for a steal as either surplus or someone clearing out a lab. I got mine for $15.

I bet if you played around with different stir bars or perhaps voltages of your home made stir plate you could save yourself $100. I made my own and it has no problem with a 5L starter although I do switch power sources for 2L and 5L starters.

I have played around with different voltages and stir bar sizes. I also added a voltage control circuit to my stirplate in addition to the usual potentiometer control. This allows me to dial in the voltage and speed really well. I still have a lot of trouble with my 5 liter flask. I am sick of messing around with all of these variables and want a new, strong, and reliable stirplate that I do not have to worry about working. I am willing to pay for a nice one that isn't ridiculously expensive.

Does anyone own the stirplate that Northern Brewer sells? I think it is made by Fisatom.

I just built a simple stir plate that handles 1 liter to 5 liter flasks easily. It has 2 potentiometers, a switch and a dc input for a 9 volt charger. I will get pictures up shortly...

481443188_1687540332_0.jpeg

481443122_1687540065_0.jpeg

481443536_1687541596_0.jpeg

481485859_1687702414_0.jpeg

7.75" X7.75". The wood that surrounds the fan supports 1 and 2 liter flasks and a 5 liter flask fits perfectly on the whole thing.
I'm not a carpenter so don't make fun of my woodworking skills.

With both potentiometers turned to the lowest setting it powers the 1 liter flask easily. Full power is used on the 5 liter flask.

Back