Light Munich: what's up with this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oguss0311

Reaction score
I've been brewing ales exclusively forever- and have decided to take advantage of my current basement temps to use White Labs 820 Oktoberfest yeast. I got 10lbs of Light Munich cheap, because the bag was sliced open. I was like "I know I've seen that in Okt.fest. recipes- I'll use that as a base!" and I was gonna use same pale malt as well. My plan was to get home- research recipes and find out what else I'd need (specialty grains, hops I might not have on hand, etc.) and it looks like 90% of the recipes I see use it as like oh....20% of the grain bill or even less. Oh! I see. I did read that you can use it for up to 100% of the grain bill.
Could those of you who have experience with this grain please give me some insight that I'm not getting by reading grain profiles? I guess I could get some Vienna too- but I'm Not really looking to spend too much more money!
Thanks for any comments!

I've been brewing ales exclusively forever- and have decided to take advantage of my current basement temps to use White Labs 820 Oktoberfest yeast. I got 10lbs of Light Munich cheap, because the bag was sliced open. I was like "I know I've seen that in Okt.fest. recipes- I'll use that as a base!" and I was gonna use same pale malt as well. My plan was to get home- research recipes and find out what else I'd need (specialty grains, hops I might not have on hand, etc.) and it looks like 90% of the recipes I see use it as like oh....20% of the grain bill or even less. Oh! I see. I did read that you can use it for up to 100% of the grain bill.
Could those of you who have experience with this grain please give me some insight that I'm not getting by reading grain profiles? I guess I could get some Vienna too- but I'm Not really looking to spend too much more money!
Thanks for any comments!

Assuming you are talking about "real" Munich malt from a German maltster you can absolutely use it for 100% of the grain bill. Unfortunately, IMO, there are a lot of lousy Oktoberfest recipes floating around. The majority of a Festbier grain bill should be comprised of Munich and Vienna malts AFIAIC. If you want to lighten the malt a bit some pilsner malt as part of the bill is good. I like a 70/30% blend of Munich/Pilsner and 40/40/20% Vienna/Munich/Pilsner as bases for these beers. :mug:

I like a 70/30% blend of Munich/Pilsner and 40/40/20% Vienna/Munich/Pilsner as bases for these beers. :mug:

I think that's what I'll do, and I'll be using Hallertau and Tettnanger hops.

Now- regarding if these grains are from a German Maltster- they are Crosby and Baker brand "Weyermann Light Munich". They say product of Germany. I have to investigate If they were indeed malted there, etc.

What brands ARE good and reliable for such things?

Yes, the Weyermann malt is very nice and the Munich is the real deal. I've used it many times and like it very much. :mug:

Back